Going Doorless??

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
I have read the lift laws and still can't come up with a definate answer so maybe you guys can help. i have an 83 suburban with all four doors off, is it legal if i still have mirrors for both sides. i bolted some to the fenders. it still has seat belts and all that. if i can't why can jeeps?? i really want to leave them off so i can lean out and see obstacles better, seeing as how its a little bit to big!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I thought I read something in the last 6mo that said something like "if it had doors it has to HAVE doors"... Jeeps came from the factory w/out, so they're ok????

I don't know though. What I DO know is that is ghetto! Rock on, playa! :D ;)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Roughly, because jeeps came from the factory with the option to run doorless, you can do it with jeeps. Also, jeeps have lips at the door sill, hence the term 'tub', to prevent things from sliding out onto the road. Since 95% of all other suv's don't have the door sill nor the factory option of taking the doors off, it's not legal. I may not be 100% correct on this, but it's the general idea.
Devin

ZUKEYPR

It's illegal, here's an extract from the State Safety Manual that you can download off of the higway patrol site.

G. DOORS
Check door latches, hinges and handles for proper operation, fastening, and broken or missing
components (try doors and locks).
REJECT vehicle when:
a) Doors or door parts are missing, broken or sagging so that the door cannot be
tightly closed. (Rear inside door handles may be removed.)
b) Door latches do not function properly or have been removed.
NOTE: Shaved door handles with automatic releases are allowed
provided that when the engine is running, and the vehicle
is in drive, the wireless remote cannot activate door release
switch.

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
Dammit! i don't wanna put them on and everybody is saying that they are cracking down this year in moab. i am gonna try it we'll see. ill install sill plates if they will leave me alone. i wanna put tube doors on it, but i don't have the time before moab. if you see a big blue burb on 40's without doors in moab honk and give me a good ole one finger salute. i am all about white trash wheeling. thanks for the heads up guys.

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
build yourself some sweet bar doors, not too hard if ya have a bender and a welder. if not then buy some but IMO, they are kinda pricey

nevermind, I guess I was a few minutes late on that one.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
:rofl: :rofl:

I've got to give it up for a redneck trash truck w/no doors. Please tell me the 40's are Ground Hawgs!

If I see that I will definitely 'fly the flag'. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i took my doors off last summer on my fj60, it looked kinda lame cause it wasnt lifted, i made half doors out some old doors i had for this summer (mainly for ejs) hopefully now that its a little bigger it wont look quite as dumb.

i say take the doors off and if a cop says some thing, play dumb, say you had no idea it was illegal and question why jeeps can do it, then when he explains why, give him an "oooooohhhhh, that makes sence, humm well i guess ill go put them back on now" be nice and i bet(if hes cool) he'll let you go. last spring my school cop always saw me driving around and he never gave me any trouble(but then again hes not highway partol)

ace

Parts Collector
Don't forget that doors are part of the designed structural integrity of the body. They help prevent the body from collapsing on the passengers in an accident.

4x4phil

Dude this sucks! I was planning on running without doors this year too. You aren't the only one sponsoring the WT on this site. Taking off your doors will save you some weight as well as improve visibility. But yes, it does look like crap.

tv_larsen

Fullsizes w/o doors rock! :D

This almost seems to be a gray area. A couple years ago I was asking several HP officers if it was legal for my Ramchager, none really knew. Finally, one made a phone call for me to the head of the state safety whatever and was told it was illegal. I've run it w/o door anyways for a couple years.

Then, last summer I went in for safety inspection and the inspector (the same one that passed me the previous year) told me he was going to reject me for the missing doors and no front mudflaps since the fenders were cut. I politely disagreed, so he called the phone number at the front of the safety manual and was told that both were fine, so it passed.

I'm going to run EJS exactly like this, just like last year, and I expect no problems. But I do have some removable rear mudflaps I might take with me to lessen the chance.

f624e195.jpg

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
I didn't get hassled last year, but.... Nice no door rammy. I scored some slightly used (but free) semi mudflaps so i'll bolt those on. Everybody that's doorless we should get together and do a doorless burn somewhere's??!!..

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
BURB-STYLE said:
if you see a big blue burb on 40's without doors in moab honk and give me a good ole one finger salute. i am all about white trash wheeling. thanks for the heads up guys.

Say it loud, Say it proud :ugh:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i think it also has something to do with the fact jeeps have stock rollbars too, not that they are very protective, but they are there