Going from 5x4.5" lug pattern to 5x5.5" lug pattern without adapters??

Nate R

It's derby season!
This is an off topic vehicle for RME, but hopefully be useful information to someone other than myself.

I have early 20's hot rod that currently has 5x4.5" lug pattern and wheel adaptors to adapt to 5x5.5" lug pattern wheels. The car has a Speedway disk brake kit and the big Ford pattern was not offered so I am stuck with what I have.

I know the easiest route would be new wheels, but i am pretty committed to the set I have due to the cost of these wheels. Can anyone recommend a machine shop that can machine the new lug pattern? I know it's pretty common to do it with axles and drums, but I am not sure if there is enough room in the rotor hat to machine new stud holes, so I am hoping to find someone experienced with this.

Thanks in advance,

-Nate

RockChucker

Is there an existing rotor that would work that has the correct hat spacing and diameter? Off an old bronco, cj, Suzuki samurai, sidekick etc?

Nate R

It's derby season!
I thought about that, but it gets really tricky when trying to get bearing, seals, and rotors to work correctly on '49 chevy car spindles. What I have works as it should and I can continue to run the adaptors if I have to. But in my opinion the car would look much better if it was an inch narrower on each side. It would probably drive better too....even though it doesn't handle bad for having tall bias ply tires on the front and pie crust slicks on the rear.