Golden Spike-We Be Jeepin'

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
So, sixteen rigs headed out on Spike? Is this Easter Safari? Nope, just another We Be Jeepin’ weekend. And, we had quite the crowd showing up at the Cinema on Saturday.

Many of our regular club members were missing or we would likely have had over 20 rigs out for the journey to the Golden Spike. Larry was out with his totally rebuilt TJ after his recent roll. (See 21 Road on www.webejeepinmoab.com under blog for the story)

Here’s the group at the Poison Spider trail head, airing down. While there, we were joined by a couple from California in their blue JK Rubicon. They had never been out on this trail, slipped right in and hopefully enjoyed it as much as the rest of us.

Starting up the first switch backs. We had a large group from Kansas rounding out the numbers. Some were on their very first journey to Moab. Hopefully, they’ll see the magic of the area and why we love it so much.

The waterfall on Poison Spider. Jim kept us on a pretty good pace and soon, we found ourselves exiting the PS trail and starting the Golden Spike.

Over to the Launching Pad. Always good when it’s ice-free! Although, Redroxx is ready for a snowy re-match. I had a little slip and slide here last December.....everyone likes to remind me.....

Look at the Paparazzi all over the obstacle. I was amazed at the crowds, but stay tuned, the biggest crowd is yet to come. The journey over the slickrock was uneventful for the Samurai’s. These 3 were at the tail, far away from the Badcat (Samurai) leader.

Wmndrvr decided to have fun in this little approach towards Zuki hill. The hard line? You betcha!

Zuki hill was no match for Jeep nor Samurai. Some had to try a couple of times but all made it under their own power.

Lunchtime was had at the overlook. There were a few adventures with the welder. Yours truly had a crack in the frame (Yikes!) and there was a steering box bracket that needed some help. Thanks to those who saw my cracked frame!! I was oblivious……what else?

We ended lunch and worked our way down to the Golden Crack. It was obvious when we arrived at this famous obstacle. Holy cow! Is there a freakin’ convention? I was looking for the guys in the orange vests and light sticks to show me where to park. I think it very likely that there were over 100 people at the crack. What a freak show. There were Jeeps, Broncos, Samurais, ATV’s, dirt bikes, regular bikes, side by sides, and even Yorkshire terriers with bows in their hair ALL coming together at one little ol’ crack. Just as many were coming our way as were travelling in the traditional direction.

I don’t know what Jim said to the group there but after a couple of minutes, our sweet 16 got the right o’ way. We fought our way through the radio stimulus package winners and over the crack. Yes, there were some who had "won" a trip. I think the 4 Wheel Parts in Denver sponsored it.

Jim says, “what crack?” Was there something in the trail?

Here’s a youngster driving Gene’s rig over the Crack. His proud Dad told me that he’s been over this obstacle before. Congrats! I wish I could’ve started wheeling when I was a teenager. But, better late than never!

More Crack action!

An “X” package? Hurrah! If you really drove this one open, you should be REALLY proud! And, with the speed he went through, I think he was open. Great driving!
There was another breakage coming over the crack so the welder was brought out again and put into good use. The main group was sent on to finish the trail while the end of the group stayed behind to finish the repair and then get the blank out of there.
But, the main reason for running the trail was looming before us. Double-Whammy, double-whammy! What to do? Jeff put it so eloquently……….who cares what’s happened before? We’re here now. Let’s DO IT! I was a little worried with my cracked frame so decided to go around……TEMPORARILY!
Gary Lee gave it a few tries. He jumped, hopped, and skipped, trying to find the right line.

Jeff came next and found the line. He crawled it. So…………..yours truly ran to give it a try.

Gary Lee tried again………and GOT it.

No photos of Redroxx as it’s hard to drive a big obstacle and take pictures. BUT, Marilyn and I went up together………after a couple of tries. Yee-haw!

We got off the trail about 6:30pm. Super fun trail day, longer than usual but fun none the less.

Thanks all and see ya on the trail.

Melissa

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Ha Ha Shane! Let's see who wins the 30 spline outers this week! I want to see a trail report of you guys driving the Helldorado waterfall. Crazy and congrats to those of you who got it!

I'll have to admit that I put my camera away on Pritchett after Rocker Knocker. I was too bored waiting! So, you'll probably win......if you post one that is.....