Good lures or bait for Tiger Musky fishing?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Over the July 4th holiday I think i am going to go fishing. I hear that Tiger Muskies are fun to catch. I have never fished for them and dont have a clue what bait or lures to use if fishing from the shore.

Any advise is welcome.

Thank you.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
don't you use steel line for them? Or is that just northern pike? Or am I just making my ignorance about fishing completely obvious?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I prefer the Rapala Shallow Shad Rap in the perch color pattern. It works better in shallow water than some of the other lures out there.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Cool, thank you all.

Is it possible to catch these buggers from shore, or is it really only feasible by boat? I have read some reports of success right now but they all seem to be doing well by trolling flat fish, pop gear, etc.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Though I've only caught a few, every one of them has been from shore. I've had the best luck with Mepps size 0 spinners, and rapala's that look like a helpless perch :D

Spider wire (not the mono kind) or steel leader is a good idea also.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Cool. I think I am going to head up to Cottonwood Reservoir and try my luck. I will go buy a few Dare Devils, Mepps, and other larger spin baits. I will probably just use the 8 Lb. test line I have on my reel now, but I will get some type of a reinforced tippet or leader material to prevent the bite through.

I have never been there, anyone have any experience at Cottonwood Reservoir? (Near Roosevelt)