Good place to buy battery cables?

heavy18

XJNation
Does anyone know of a good (relatively inexpensive) place to purchase either battery cables or wire to make battery cables here locally? Trying to finish relocating my battery and my stock cables aren't quite long enough. I see some people making heavy duty cabling using 1AWG or 2AWG size stuff, so I figure I might as well use that while I'm at it.

O'rielly sells 4guage stuff, but then I don't have a way to crimp it either. (also I've read that if you plan to upgrade your alternator you should go at least 2AWG?) Would be nice if I could take measurements in somewhere and walk out with cables.

Thanks for the help!

B2-Bomber

welding cable from welding supply shops works awesome, and is usually pretty cheap as far as comparable gauge wire goes. you can buy it by the foot

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
S&H Terminal. Buy whatever gauge cable you want by the foot, buy the ends to crimp or solder on, make them yourself. :)

B2-Bomber

I was also going to mention s&h on hope avenue too. but welder wire is cheaper per foot. but as far as connectors, and terminals, shrink tubing, wire wrap, weird clips etc they are awesome and cheaper than anywhere around

heavy18

XJNation
Awesome, thanks!

I called Praxair and they sell 1AWG for about $3/foot. they don't have ends smaller than 1/2" but if I buy some and bring them in they'll crimp them on. So I'll pick up some ends from S&H and should be able to get setup for pretty cheap.

B2-Bomber

i also like welder wire for routing reasons. welder wire has some kind of different stranding so it is waaaaaaaay more flexible. other 1, 2, or 3 gauge wire is so rigid that it is impossible to route cleanly.

i think it is because welding leads are designed to be moved every which way, so it is much more flexible.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have some wire and a huge hydraulic crimper... I have a few different size ends as well... the crimper will do any size wire from 6 up to 4/0.
I made my own cables a few years ago on my CJ7 and they are great!

thenag

I have heard that welding wire isn't really oil resistant, not usually an issue for battery cables, but something to keep in mind.

I made mine with welding cable and used Fusion ends and some really expensive heat shrink from Napa.
Napa can get the Fusion ends but they can be found way cheaper online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmih...g26Ye7npxkgLHoWMmObF2iCUcEUeAH1pfd5OrsmInrZcY

(btw I don't think "cheap" should be in the same sentence with "battery cable")

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

heavy18

XJNation
Those Fusion ends look pretty sweet, the video makes it look simple - how was the practical application? Was it easy to get just the right amount of heat to make the solder work but avoid melting the shielding?

I was able to make the stock cables work for now, but with an alternator upgrade looming I still want to get upgraded cables soon.