good tacoma lifts

CanadanXJ

what?!
A friend of mine has a taco and needs a good lift. He is looking for a 2" lift and doesn't want to spend too much, any suggestions.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
The best lift would be a coilover kit from Downey, Fabtech, or others make them as well. A spacer would be cheaper and work well, but beware. Make absolutely certain you get a spacer kit that installs as part of the coilover itself, requiring you to compress the spring and fit it between the coil and the top of the coilover unit. If you get a spacer that installs between the coilover and the frame (not requiring disassembly of the coilover unit), you will go through ball joints about every 3-6 months. This is because the shock is what limits downtravel, and if you move the whole shock down with a spacer, the suspension will droop beyond the limits of the ball joints. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I can't remember which brands to get, but I think Cornfed and Revtek are the right type.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Oh, one quick hint on installation. If you have trouble getting the coilover back in, unbolt the lower ball joint from the spindle (4 nuts). This is much easier than removing the upper ball joint with a press, as some instructions call for.

chans

I used the Daystar kit and it works great. What made me decide on daystar was because the place I bought the lift from puts them on new Toyota trucks for Karl Malone Toyota and Larry Miller Toyota. I check with those dealerships and they still warranty the vehicle. I have had mine for over 1 1/2 years and had no problems.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
chans said:
I used the Daystar kit and it works great. What made me decide on daystar was because Karl Malone and Larry Miller Toyota puts them on there trucks they sell if people want bigger tires. I have had mine for over 1 1/2 years and had no problems.

i trust both of those guys... :rolleyes:

CanadanXJ

what?!
DevinB said:
I installed one for a friend last fall. I researched it, and most people on Toyota forums recommended Cornfed Suspensions.. That's what I bought/installed, and so far it's been great.
Devin
That is who Kurt suggested, and that is probably who he is going to go with. Thanks for all of the good input.