Goodyear MTR vs. Toyo MT Open Country, or other??

Boludo

I'm looking for some input on tire preference. What is your favorite mud tire for on and off road use, and why? I can't decide which to go with.
Thanks.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
I have been loven my cooper Discoverer STT's. they are pretty quiet onroad. and they air down low with out blowen a bead. I air them down to 10 psi with no problems

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I've had the Toyo M/T's, BFG Mud TA's and KM2's, and have friends that swear by the Goodyear MTR's.

The tires I've bought needed to do street, mud and rocks. I think personal preference will determine what you go with but any of these are good tires.

The Toyo's have a stiffer sidewall that I have found is stronger at resisting bruising and puncture. The KM2's have a much more flexible sidewall that conforms around rocks for better traction for me. Sixes in my opinion, both do what they do well.

I have several friends that run MTR's and won't buy anything else.

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
What about Yokohama Geolander MT? They have a good rating on TireRack but I have never heard of anyone using them. They are a killer price too.

Yokohama_Geolandar_MT-l-2.jpg

And I have used the BFG Mud Terrain KM's and they have lasted a long time and performed very well.

Last edited:

allterrain

AllTerrain
I've had the Toyo M/T's, BFG Mud TA's and KM2's, and have friends that swear by the Goodyear MTR's.

The tires I've bought needed to do street, mud and rocks. I think personal preference will determine what you go with but any of these are good tires.

The Toyo's have a stiffer sidewall that I have found is stronger at resisting bruising and puncture. The KM2's have a much more flexible sidewall that conforms around rocks for better traction for me. Sixes in my opinion, both do what they do well.

I have several friends that run MTR's and won't buy anything else.

Not to hijack- but how do the KM2's wear on the road? I like the looks of those. I have a set of KM's that have been champs all around.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
That's a good question.

First, I love these things in the rocks..... great tire and they took their knowledge from the Krawlers and put it to work in the KM2's.

As far as the road goes...... I've only had them since spring but they do appear to be wearing faster on the pavement than the Toyo's did. I have a set of siped ProComp AT's I'm gonna put on for the winter.

To answer your question........ I don't know yet, but I'm a little worried about that. :-\

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've never been impressed with the toyo tires but that mainly comes from the guys that I used to wheel with who were sponsored by Toyo and would run BFG's on their rigs when they weren't in a comp and blamed their poor finishes on shitty tires.

I was really fond of my Maxxis Bighorns. That will most likely be my next set of tires, although those Mickey Thompson MTZ's look pretty nice too.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Those Bighorns look pretty good... not too aggressive but not wimpy either, and as far as I can read they hold up well, too.

The Geolander M/T's used to wear well, but the couple folks I know with them did not like them in mud. These were guys w/M715's, so take that for what it's worth... those trucks have million-lb spring rates and no power whatsoever, so...

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I've never been impressed with the toyo tires but that mainly comes from the guys that I used to wheel with who were sponsored by Toyo and would run BFG's on their rigs when they weren't in a comp and blamed their poor finishes on shitty tires.

I was talking to a guy who had his comp buggy out at Little Moab a few years ago that was running Toyo's because they sponsored him. I asked him how he liked them, and he said there's no way he would pay for them. :rofl:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
for sure. I've run into a few other buggies on the trail with big Toyo tires stickers on their rigs but they are running something else.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Make an honest assessment of your needs. Is tread life more important than offroad traction? If tread life is most important get the Toyos. If off-road traction is most important get anything but the Toyos.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
What about Yokohama Geolander MT? They have a good rating on TireRack but I have never heard of anyone using them. They are a killer price too.

Yokohama_Geolandar_MT-l-2.jpg

And I have used the BFG Mud Terrain KM's and they have lasted a long time and performed very well.

Those are going to be my next tires when I do my full widths, 315-75-16R at factory price none the less.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've been running MTR's pretty much since they came out. I've tried a few others now and then, but always seem to end up back with the Goodyears. While they are a bit noisey, I've had other brands that were much worse, and I don't feel the tread life is all that bad for a mud terain tire.

Perhaps my one big complaint about the MTR would be the very weak sidewall. I've torn more than my share of sidewalls on objects that I know wouldn't phase the other brands of tires. If you do go MTR's, if there's a road hazzard offered get it! You'll probably need it sooner or later.

1993yj

Always had great luck with BFG Muds on a DD, and they do well off-road. Would never again do MTRs on a DD for the wear issues, despite their off-road capabilities.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
rotate your mtr's every 3000 miles and they will wear fine. i had great luck with tread life on my mtr's, multiple sets and sizes. the problem i had with them was there lack of traction when wet. any water on the road or on the rocks and they wouldnt grab. dry conditions were ok. but just ok. i have some bighorns now, for the price i will sacrifice tread life for a little grip. i hope. they are still sitting in a pile on the garage floor.:-\

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
rotate your mtr's every 3000 miles and they will wear fine.
That's what I've found with the MTRs is they require the maintenance of regular rotations and correct inflation. Any misalignment, imbalance, worn shock, etc and they wear like cheese and with sawtooth in no time. They are definitely not a tire you can mount and forget.