Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar... sidewall strength?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have input on the sidewall strength of the Kevlar MTR's? I'm considering a set of 37" MTR's for my GMC 1 Ton project and want a truly beefy tire. I loved the KM2's as they took the abuse of a loaded FZJ haulin' arse thru the rocky desert without issue. I just don't want a weak tire... ;)

sixstringsteve

I researched them a ton when I was looking at tires. The consensus I came up with was that they're a little tougher than the km2s but nowhere as tough as something like a trep. I don't think you can go wrong with a mtr Kevlar or a km2 for our terrain.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I swore off MTR's, because I could't keep a sidewall in one. I run the Kevlars now, just giving them a second shot (and because they were $30 cheaper a tire). They're holding up great, no issues there, but they're a lot noiser on the hiway than the KM2 too so be forewarrned,

STAG

On my grind
I swore off MTR's, because I could't keep a sidewall in one. I run the Kevlars now, just giving them a second shot (and because they were $30 cheaper a tire). They're holding up great, no issues there, but they're a lot noiser on the hiway than the KM2 too so be forewarrned,

I was actually surprised at how noisy the KM2's are that I bought from you, but I still love them! They have held up well and hook up great offroad.

notajeep

Just me
Greg, I've installed several sets of 37's (all on JKs though) Some I know have been wheeled a little harder than others, and I have yet to see a failure. I know is anecdotal, but that's my experience. If I was in the market for some radial 37's it would come down to the mtrs and the generals.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like they're up for the challenge! I know the old, OLD MTR's had a sidewall that would tear if you looked at it wrong. The last model seemed better, but not great. If they MTR w/ Kevlar is comparable to a KM2, then I will be happy.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
This thread has some interesting opinions. Page 2 has a post on sidewall strength (or lack thereof) of the KM2.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43266

In a nutshell:

KM2:
1. Easy to balance
2. Run small, 37s are about the size of a 35" MTR/K
3. Good all around tire for your climate but they ball up in mud

MTR/K:
1. Can be hard to balance, but that is per case basis
2. Run true to size or better
3. Good all around tire, shed mud well

Last edited:

EB101

Funny to hear you say they are a lot noisier. I just put a set of the kevlar 37s on my old Bronco and I couldn't be happier. Amazingly quiet to me but I guess anything would be after my Mudzillas and then BFG KXs.
-Steve

kellerexpress

You may also want to look into Nitto trail grappler mt. I really like mine, the side walls are supposed to be really strong. The only down side is that they are kind of heavy compared to the mtrk and the km2

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I only buy MT/R. A couple of years ago, I was going up Providence Canyon aired down. I drove back to Draper still aired down and parked in the garage. The next day, I noticed that the Jeep was listing passenger and saw that the tire was flat. There was a puncture in the side wall which I plugged and drove for two more months. This was the old style. Now I have the Kevlars and find them to be more excellent and gives me a place to take cover in a gun fight.

MT/R's are harder than calculus yo.

Omgbecki

Do be prepared for size difference. My dad just got some 37" kevlars on his jk replacing 35" km2. Huge difference. I have no personal experience but I've seen a lot of the km2 in work and they don't like to clean out well when in mud. If it was me, I'd probably base my decision on price and weight of tire. They both are great.

ricsrx

Since the KM2's have been brought up, In my experience the BFG's do not have good sidewall protection at all, And I am talking about roads with shrubs, cactus, sharp rocks.
If you have ever been on the south side of the valley in Mesquite Nevada on the less used trails and roads then you know how bad it is.

So I am assuming that is why the thread is about MTR's w/kevlar?

Last edited:

Master Pull

My 35 MT/R Kevlars were the same size as the 37 inch old style MT/R on my bosses rig when I first got them, both tires were nearly brand new. I have ran both KM2 and MT/R, the MT/R doesn't shed mud well (not in the inner lugs at least) but it does do very well in nearly every environment. I prefer it over the KM2 because I had bad lucking puncturing a KM and KM2 sidewall.

-Alex

LT.

Last year some time, or maybe even earlier, Four Wheeler Magazine did an impressive tire test. In my honest opinion they did the best job possible and tested 10 different tires. Here is the link http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/viewall.html

They recorded just about every thing and did an excellent job. It is worth the read. When this article came out I read it over and over trying to make sure I was making an educated tire choice for Christine. In the end I decided on the MT/R's with Kevlar but, they were on a nation wide back order. So, I ended up buying a set slightly used from a member of RME4x4 and could not be happier.

LT.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Last year some time, or maybe even earlier, Four Wheeler Magazine did an impressive tire test. In my honest opinion they did the best job possible and tested 10 different tires. Here is the link http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/viewall.html

They recorded just about every thing and did an excellent job. It is worth the read. When this article came out I read it over and over trying to make sure I was making an educated tire choice for Christine. In the end I decided on the MT/R's with Kevlar but, they were on a nation wide back order. So, I ended up buying a set slightly used from a member of RME4x4 and could not be happier.

LT.

Is that article messed up or is it my computer? I can only see the first page.

sixstringsteve

I think they expect you to click on the links on the right, where it breaks each tire down. It was an interesting read, but it seemed like they focused only on mud and pavement traction. I seriously thought the treps would win, but they got the worst rating.