Gooseneck hitch questions.....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think I like the 'turn-over ball' type of hitch. Any experiences with other types or this type. Installation? Doesn't look like rocket science, but......

I've got a SHORT bed. Do you need to mount the hitch a few inches back from where you'd put a long bed or do you just center the ball over the axle?

78mitsu

I've done a couple, I typically put it 4-5 inches in front of the back axle, helps put a little more weight on the steering axle. usually the goosneck is the most forward part of the trailer. so clearance isn't usually a problem. it's just clearance when turning you need to worry about.

Nate R

It's derby season!
I know that on the B&W turn over ball, the install is fairly easy just a little time consuming. If I understand it that kit uses existing holes in the frame.

kirk86CJ

Mine is 2" in front of the center of the axle. My dad made the hitch out of 10" Channel laying under the bed. You drill about a 4" diameter hole in the bed. He used long bolts to bolt the channel cross piece down to the frame. (Channel accross the top, plate across the bottom) He also used different sizes of square tube to make the ball removable. You pull a spring loaded pin out the side (from underneath the bed - access it by a long rod that is under the wheel well)

1. Pull the pin out about 4" (acess it in the wheel well, between the bed, and frame)
2. Drop the ball which is welded to a square tube base that drops in the base (receiver type thing), which is welded to the 1" channel. This square tube has a hole drilled through it (side to side), along with the shank to let the pin through.
3. Push the pin back in which holds the ball from lifting out.

Took some time to design/build, but works great and easily removable.

You can take a look if you want.

Kirk

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
As everyone has said, 2 to 4 inches in front of the axle is where you want it. Being a short bed, you need to consider the trailer though. If it has an upper deck area, or something like a travel trailer you can't mount it there. When you turn sharp, the corner of the trailer will come through your rear window.

Meat_

Banned
kirk86CJ said:
Mine is 2" in front of the center of the axle. My dad made the hitch out of 10" Channel laying under the bed. You drill about a 4" diameter hole in the bed. He used long bolts to bolt the channel cross piece down to the frame. (Channel accross the top, plate across the bottom) He also used different sizes of square tube to make the ball removable. You pull a spring loaded pin out the side (from underneath the bed - access it by a long rod that is under the wheel well)

1. Pull the pin out about 4" (acess it in the wheel well, between the bed, and frame)
2. Drop the ball which is welded to a square tube base that drops in the base (receiver type thing), which is welded to the 1" channel. This square tube has a hole drilled through it (side to side), along with the shank to let the pin through.
3. Push the pin back in which holds the ball from lifting out.

Took some time to design/build, but works great and easily removable.

You can take a look if you want.

Kirk

Mine is kinda like that, but it spreads the weight out over more of the frame.... and it's store bought.

It's designed to use a hitch that has a ball on one side and then you flip it over and there's plate that sits flush with your bed, the ball I have looks like this though because at the time they didn't have a 30k ball for it.

Attachments

• 04-08-06_1906.jpg
    04-08-06_1906.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 8