GPS handhelds

plaidfro

I have gotten behind in GPS technology... I love my little Garmin eTrex (the basic yellow one) but I would like to look for a new GPS that I could use in the Jeep, with my DirtBike, and when backpacking in the backcounty. What type of units have you guys been using successfully that would make a nice handheld with some good Utah Backcountry bells and whistles?

Caleb

What exactly are you looking for? What kind of features would you like? For me, my old Garmin eTrex Venture Cx is more than sufficient. I'd like to replace it, but have a hard time justifying it since it works so well for what I use it for on my dirtbike to record my track for the day. Top speed, avg speed, total distance, in addition to the tracks are all nice to have features for me. However, I don't ever really use it for the mapping per-se. I'll occasionally use it to mark key intersections or key points...otherwise I think the handhelds are really too small to effectively map with (for vehicle use). It's get me out of bind and lead me to where I needed to be if the occasion arose.

As for units, etc...you can't go wrong with Garmin but Delorme has some good looking screens and mapping. Delorme also has some neat features on their nicer units (like spot integration). The downside to the Delorme units is their battery life is no where near what the Garmin's are. My Garmin will last half a season of heavy use. The Delorme's will get you about 6-8 hours of use on a set of batteries.

When you decide on a unit, hit me up and I'll see what I can do for you. I can get most of the Lowrance (another high quality mfg) handhelds, most of the Garmin handhelds, and all of the Delorme handhelds. :)

rambrush

I run with Delorme PN-40 and use a different battery setup than stock and have had pretty good luck with it.
I can not vouch for Garmin as it has been several years since I have had one. It was a older serial port unit with no maps provided.
Switched to Delorme and currently using there Topo 9 software.
Like Caleb advised let us know what you are thinking as there are many options out there.
I use the Delorme LT-40 in the truck connected to the laptop so that is a option as well.

plaidfro

I do like a good display, and having color and topo maps is nice as well... I looked into a Garmin Vista C? awhile back. I like to be able to map routes ahead of time and also upload actual routes when done. Whatever system is going to make it the easiest.

Caleb

I do like a good display, and having color and topo maps is nice as well... I looked into a Garmin Vista C? awhile back. I like to be able to map routes ahead of time and also upload actual routes when done. Whatever system is going to make it the easiest.
That goes back to the software you are using on the computer more so than the GPS unit itself. Just about every modern GPS allows you to upload tracks. If the battery life isn't a big deal, then check out the Delorme line. The PN-40 is their base model. They also have the PN-60 and PN-60W w/ SPOT Communicator. Depending on your budget and the features you'd like. They all come with Topo software (usually Topo 9) for your PC. Here is a list of of some of the GPS's I sell so you can easily check out features. There are a bunch that are not listed, so if you have a particular model in mind let me know and I'll see what the availability is on it. Also, those are retail prices...of course RME members don't pay retail so contact me for pricing. ;)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've got a Legend Hcx and it's been great, The screen size when I'm in a vehicle is about the only issue. I usually put a fresh pair of AA batteries in and run trails in Moab for 3 days before I need to swap them.
I pulled the utah topo maps from http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html and I download tracks from http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php when I'm doing something new.

I shopped around quite a bit before I bought it and ended up buying from the evil empire. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-HCx-Personal-GPS-010-00629-00/6015173 :spork: