GPS Systems: I need some feedback

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
serial vs usb

there really isn't a difference between the two seeing they are both serial connectors... the only difference is the way they connect... and the old 9pin connector is pretty much history.... I have the usb to 9pin connector and it works great....

if your really looking for software and a gps I would recommend you find the software you want to run and then see what gps's its compatible with and buy that.... I had a friend that bought the GPS then the software and they don't work together....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
gijohn40 said:
there really isn't a difference between the two seeing they are both serial connectors... the only difference is the way they connect... and the old 9pin connector is pretty much history.... I have the usb to 9pin connector and it works great....

if your really looking for software and a gps I would recommend you find the software you want to run and then see what gps's its compatible with and buy that.... I had a friend that bought the GPS then the software and they don't work together....
Better yet, find the software you like... I know there are times people buy a new GPS and later find out the software sucks.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
my4thjeep said:
I would strongly advise getting one without a serial connection but a usb. THat is my only regret.

My next one will surely have a USB, but both my laptops have a serial port so not a biggy. I have been using my current setup for nearly 3 years now, I have always enjoyed it... I never load any maps onto the GPS, rather I usually have the laptop in realtime if I care where I am :D

Caleb

Budbeater said:
That begs another question. I like the barometer and altimeter features found in various units. Does the plam software have those features?

Budbeater

barometer, probably not...I have yet to see a PDA one that has it. Just curious as to why you want a barometer anyways? The only thing it could tell you is that a storm *may* be coming in, and by the time you know for sure that one is coming its overhead anyways :D The Altimeter probably, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to tell you your altitude, 99% of the time its just a reading from the satelites anyways. Also, I have yet to see any GPS software that didn't have a compass, again, thats just a reading from the satellites.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Some have an electronic altimeter (using satelites) and some have an actual altimeter... not sure why you would need to be so redundant (and accurate).

I used my GPS alot this weekend, mostly just to get grid coordinates to figure out where we were on a map... :D