Grand or Cherokee: pros and cons

dungbeetle

I've got a chance to pick up a 97 Cherokee sport with a bad engine for a reasonable price. It has the following modifications that I know of so far: 32 inch wheels, 4 inch lift, sway bar disconnects, and a cold air intake. The mods were all made by a previous owner. Current owner knows nothing about the rig. I couldn't tell what kind of lift kit it had, but the control arms were some sort of tubular aftermarket.

I have a spare engine that would get this rig going in a day or so. I also have a 98 Grand Cherokee with an NP242 that is bone stock. Should I put my effort into the Grand or buy the cherokee?

dungbeetle

The 98 Grand has a 6 cylinder motor. It looks like the XJ has something better than a budget lift, but I won't know till I can analyze it more closely. The body and interior of the XJ seem to be in good shape.

My goal is to have two capable off road vehicles that I and my 6 sons can use for moderately difficult trails with a reasonable expectation of not having one stranded for equipment failure. My other vehicle is a 95 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee with a 4 inch Pro comp lift, 31 inch tires, rock sliders, NP231 transfer case, and a Ford 8.8 rear axle with disk brakes out of a late model Explorer that I haven't installed yet.

I guess my real question is which of the two vehicles is a superior platform for building an offroad vehicle or if there is no clear cut choice, what are the respective weaknesses and strengths of each?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Cherokee is cheaper and a more capable rig in my opinion. I'd go that way if you've a motor ready to go for it. Cheaper aftermarket, light, gets you out and about......

Don't try fitting 6 people in it though

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Like brett said. A cherokee is going to be a lot cheaper to build then a grand, but i personally would rather put it into a Grand. And i definatly dont agree with the second comment he made about a more capable XJ then a ZJ. Have you seen tyler, cody's, or even mine on the stock control arms work. With the coils all around they will have much better articulation then a leave spring. But this is just one guys opinion. Put the money in the grand, you will be happy you did, and not have trouble with all the crappy XJ unibody crap you here about.

Bart

Just another viewpoint is that if you already have a Grand, having a second rig of the same kind would lead to more interchangeable parts.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
XJ is a better and cheaper platform for building a rig to do difficult to hardcore trails. But, 3.5-4.5" lift and 32's ish isn't exactly hard core and either rig would perform about the same IMO at that level. Once you go above 4.5", the XJ is cheaper to build and it's lighter/smaller body can be an asset.

that all being said, if you want to carry more people and gear with the added benefit of interchangable parts in a pinch, then I would build the ZJ.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Like brett said. A cherokee is going to be a lot cheaper to build then a grand, but i personally would rather put it into a Grand. And i definatly dont agree with the second comment he made about a more capable XJ then a ZJ. Have you seen tyler, cody's, or even mine on the stock control arms work. With the coils all around they will have much better articulation then a leave spring. But this is just one guys opinion. Put the money in the grand, you will be happy you did, and not have trouble with all the crappy XJ unibody crap you here about.

Someone's name droppin ;)

I'll rephrase it......and XJ is more capable for less money. :brett:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you go for the 97 Grand, you must paint/build the Grand's to match 100%... No real reason, other than it'd be badass.. :) Slightly gay, but a tiny bit cool too... well, maybe not...

Carl, Brett, Cody, Bryson, Greg, Shane, Kurt, and Hefner...

1995zj

I'm addicted
Where are you guys getting that he has two ZJ's?

He said it in his second post that he already has a 1995 ZJ that's lifted and about to swap axles.

As for my opinion, I've built both an XJ and ZJ up...like stated if you are looking for the cheaper route, then go with the XJ. Both I would say can be equally capable IMO.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Have you seen tyler, cody's, or even mine on the stock control arms work.

haha, have you? I know you haven't seen mine.

I figure, if you want an extreme rigs with coils, whats the difference with starting with an XJ? It's not like ZJ's and WJ's came from the factory with long arm mounting provisions. No matter which rig you start with, the end result is you have to fabricate a new suspension anyway. So, if you're going to be hammering the rig on hard trails, might as well start with the cheaper, lighter, narrower rig and take the extra $$ you saved and put it into drivetrain.

That being said, I would still build the ZJ as long as it had a v8. I avoid 4.0 ZJ's like Brett avoids showers :cody:

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
. My other vehicle is a 95 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee with a 4 inch Pro comp lift, 31 inch tires, rock sliders, NP231 transfer case, and a Ford 8.8 rear axle with disk brakes out of a late model Explorer that I haven't installed yet.

here guys, let me hold your hand.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I love my Niner... probably in a strange unhealthy way.
That said, if I had to start all over, I'd to an XJ. Cheaper and a tad easier for most things. Will a coil setup droop more than leafs? A little bit. Is droop really all that cool? I don't think so these days.

Last edited: