Graves' not-so-cheap trailer build.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Hub part #'s for my reference
Hadco 6052 LA California.

Also here is why lending you trailer out is not always a good idea...

(I should have painted my hub dust covers).

It ruined all the lug studs and a wheel.

Good buddy. He offered to buy a new wheel though.

So here are the rivets on the front of the hub that hold the brake assembly on the backside.

Grind off riviets

Punch them through and remove brake magnet surface

I found new studs at NAPA but the knurling was too long and stuck through the hub too far, so I'm off to Henderson Wheel and Tire to find the correct lug studs.

I don't have a rivets big enough so I may just use grade 8 bolts with nylocs and plenty of red loctite to hold the brake magnet surface to the hub.
Anyone see why that wouldn't work?

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
How does lending a trailer to a buddy cause lug nuts to come loose? Is there a driving style that is prone to loosening lug nuts?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I lent mine out and i had the exact same thing come back!

haha sucks

How does lending a trailer to a buddy cause lug nuts to come loose? Is there a driving style that is prone to loosening lug nuts?

Ya, running over stuff and getting flats.
Then swapping on the spare in the dark and not re-torquing lug nuts after a few miles. :rofl:
and returning things without giving them the once over first.

Trailers are like Giant Murphy's Law Magnets: if it can go wrong it will, and the only thing that can prevent it is being overly cautious.
Checking and rechecking every nut, bolt, tire, chain, and strap at every chance.

I'm not upset. It's part of the liability of lending stuff out. As long as my friends fix what they break I'm fine, stuff is just stuff.

I was actually more worried that he didn't realize it and could have potentially lost his load or worse hurt someone.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So Friday I got the new studs from Henderson and pressed them in.
Got the brake bolted on

and hub all bolted up.
<It's almost completely dark out>
Bolting up the wheel and 1-2-3-4-........5th lug nut sticks,
I pull it off and the lug stud has boogered threads...
so off comes the lug nuts.
hub,
brake,
press the stud,
press a new one,

bolt the brake back up,
hub back on,
tire back on....
Just a 1 hours setback...

but I got her all finished to tow down to the OSRC pre-tech at Armored Powder Coating last Saturday.

Look here: http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-trailer-tongue-box-65439.html Use a 20% off coupon and you might be where you need to be vs. building one?

They have a cheaper/lighter duty version, but it's cheaper/lighter duty. ;)

I looked at this box last night and was not as impressed as I hoped I'd be, mainly because the box doesn't open all the way up (unless modded)

Decked the tongue and mounted a box.

Which box did you get? Looks like the smaller HF one. Do you like it, or do you wish it had a latch rather than just the key?