Great Basin Challenge, June 10, 2006

Craig S

Commando
Great Basin Challenge June 10, 2006

The Great Basin Off-Road Challenge will be held in Delta Utah on Saturday, June 10. The meeting place is the Millard County Fair Grounds at 9:00 AM. There is no charge for this event!

One trail will be passable for stock type vehicles (No Way Hill). There are also some more difficult runs for moderately modified vehicles (Cat Canyon, Chainsaw & New Helldorado). Trails for advanced drivers with highly modified vehicles are scheduled (see trails 5-7 below).

Trail Descriptions

1. No Way Hill (3.5), scenic trail ride through Miller and Amasee Valley. Passable for all stock vehicles with optional challenges for vehicles with aftermarket performance parts.

2. Cat Canyon (4), scenic and challenging trail ride through Cat Canyon. Obstacles include The Cliff Hanger, the Rock Garden and Jaw Bone. Good equipment is an advantage, but vehicles with a lift and larger tires have made it through.

3. Chainsaw (4+), scenic and challenging trail ride through Bird Canyon and to the gold mine near the top of the canyon. Obstacles include the Fuel Dump, Axle Buster, Waterfall, the Gauntlet and the optional Cabin Door for the extreme enthusiast.

4. New Helldorado (4+), scenic and challenging drive through the Topaz Mt. area. The trail consists of a twisty boulder path through a sandy wash. The main obstacles are the Body Snatcher and the Big Climb at the end. The Body Snatcher and the Big Climb can be bypassed.

5. Buggy Boulevard (4++) scenic and very challenging ride through Smelter Knowels. The start of the trail is the Buggy Boulevard. Other obstacles past the Boulevard include Houses of the Holies hill climb, the Son of a Gun and the optional Rocky Gulch that has never been successfully driven.

6. Hell's Back Bone (5+), scenic and extremely challenging drive through the
Topaz Mt. area. This trail is for highly modified vehicles with drivers that don't scare easily and can handle body damage and broken parts. Limit of 10 vehicles for this trail. Obstacles have no bypasses except the Big Vertical at the end.

7. Desert Mountain (5+), scenic and extremely challenging drive through the
Desert Mountain recreation area. This trail is for highly modified vehicles with skilled drivers
that can handle broken parts. Warning, driving these obstacles can result in roll overs and destroyed equipment, it can also a lot of fun if your prepared and have the necessary skills. Limit of 15 vehicles for this trail.

All trail difficulty ratings on the Moab 1-5 scale.

Attachments

• 341small.jpg
    341small.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 48

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
What exactly is scared easily? And ability for broken parts. I carry spare shafts etc and tools?

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Do you have some pictures of these trails. I would be curious to see some.

Do we need to pre-register with you so you know who will be there?

Is there any service projects planned while we are out that way? So we can bring sufficient supplies.

Craig S

Commando
WJ ZUK said:
What exactly is scared easily? And ability for broken parts. I carry spare shafts etc and tools?

These trails are all easy for my vehicle and experience level. Five years ago I would not have had an easy time with the 5 rated trails, hence I would not have tried them and would be scared. Maybe the description sould use some work. As for broken parts, I rarley break anything anymore. I have seen some extensive damage that has required towing vehicles out of the harder areas. What trail are you interested and how is your vehicle built?

Craig S

Commando
olywrestle said:
Do you have some pictures of these trails. I would be curious to see some.

Do we need to pre-register with you so you know who will be there?

Is there any service projects planned while we are out that way? So we can bring sufficient supplies.

The picture supplied is from Desert Mountain and Keith Shurtz is the driver. Let me know what trail you are considering and I'll see if I have some pictures for you.

This is an informal gathering and you would only need to be in Delta at the appointed time. This is the second annual running of the GBC and is strictly for fun.

As for service projects, there are none planned. I am looking for tailgunners for the trail ride if you are interested.

grntaco

I have never been to Delta. Is the Millard County Fair Grounds easy to find or would I need directions? Thanks

Craig S

Commando
Craig S said:
The picture supplied is from Desert Mountain and Keith Shurtz is the driver. Let me know what trail you are considering and I'll see if I have some pictures for you.

This is an informal gathering and you would only need to be in Delta at the appointed time. This is the second annual running of the GBC and is strictly for fun.

As for service projects, there are none planned. I am looking for tailgunners for the trail ride if you are interested.

See picture from Hell's Back Bone

Attachments

• 344small.jpg
    344small.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 34

Craig S

Commando
This is a copy of the email I sent today with the link to a map to find the meeting location.

The trails are in central Utah about 2 hours from SLC. See the attached document for trail & sponsor info! This event is free! Come on down and have a blast!

For the meeting location go to the link below and follow the instructions.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...&city=Delta&state=UT&zipcode=84624&country=US

Instructions: Click next & see locations 17-20 for meeting area.

Please contact Craig Stumph for any additional information.

Thank You,
Craig Stumph

Last edited:

Crinco

Craig S said:
See picture from Hell's Back Bone

WOW!!
There is a blast from the past! That was a great day indeed! Craig, I don't recall the "vertical" at the end of the trail you mentioned in the discription for Hells Back Bone. That trail may be longer now than when I ran it, so that may be the reason.

WJ Zuk was with us in Cedar City on Wild Wild West on Saturday in the light blue ZUK. I am not sure yet if I can make it down there or not, did some damage on Sunday (after the U4WDA run) that I found when I got home. I will let you know. It sure sounds like a great day though.
Chris R.

Attachments

• 344small.jpg
    344small.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
hey Chris, I was wondering after I got back what your screen name was. You need to come down to delta I'll be there:D

Crinco

Yeah well, I have a small repair to make first. I managed to crack a knuckle sometime on sunday, and them knuckles aren't too cheap I have found out. The crack is kinda hard to see in the pics but it is there. Bent that arm in the front too.It does sound like a blast! I will be there if I can.

Attachments

• 0516061530 (Medium).jpg
    0516061530 (Medium).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 0516061531 (Medium).jpg
    0516061531 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 7
  • 0516061531a (Medium).jpg
    0516061531a (Medium).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9