Green Day & AREA BFE in the SNOW!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Well, the WeBeJeepin trail today was scheduled for Strike Ravine with a tip-toe into Area BFE to see if there was a chance to get on any of the obstacles down there. Six rigs arrive at the trail head. The usual crew plus Jeremy (aka Creampuff) in his shiny JK. He brought his dad Bill along and Dave rode in the back.

Ron is a new fellow to the webejeepin and has been running the past 3 weekends with us. Each week, we’ve been increasing the difficulty factor. The snow has been too deep to do much but a couple days above freezing had us hopeful for some ROCKS.

Today, was an introduction to Area BFE for Ron and others.

First stop is the BIG UGLY. I love this hill in the snow! The first 3 of us made it up without any problem. The last 3 got to take advantage of some polished rocks and in addition, Jeremy was driving open. They sure gave it a shot but we ended up meeting them on the other side.

Even Jeff couldn’t make it!

Anyway, the rest of Strike Ravine was pretty uneventful. There were a couple of tricky spots in the wash and getting a 4 door JK though that narrow squeeze between two rocks was nearly impossible. So, to save a flare, we took him up and over.

We got over to the Gatekeeper at Helldorado and it was covered with snow so we decided to avoid it. But Minor Threat turned out to be fantastic! A lot of the snow has melted and we could do a little rockcrawling. Lovely.

We ended up having lunch at Easy Squeezy, our favorite optional obstacle off of Minor Threat. There was too much snow to give it a shot but maybe soon????

Anyway, so much fun was had on Minor Threat that we decided to run Green Day backwards (the only way to run it!) Jeremy wisely left his JK at this point and a few of us left our doors here as well for better visibility in the upcoming bouldery wash. Dave ended up with Jeff, Jeremy with Gary Lee, and I had Bill ride with me in Redroxx.

The snow made the Green Day wash just that much harder which made it a blast! We got to the Green Day waterfall and hurrah! it was snow free. I told Bill to jump out and have all cameras at the ready because usually a couple of us miss this one every time, giving some fantastic photos. I don’t think he was disappointed or lacking for photo ops.

Ron had never been in this portion of BFE but has never hesitated to give obstacles a shot so here he goes. First photo shows the beginning of a wheel lift.

Uh-oh Ron, you missed the line. Here go the cameras, the paparazzi are standing by…..

Yep, we’ve all been here before……not a good feeling…..especially when you still have alot of sheet metal left.

I did teach Ron that the paparazzi like the thumbs up shot. It might be hard to see coming out the window but it means, “hey, it might not look like it but I’m having a blast!”

Now, how to get Ron off the obstacle without too much damage….

After a strap on the side and the guys pulling to prevent the side from scraping on the rocks, Ron was able to back down and take the alternate route. I like showing Jeeps with people in the scene so you know the camera is not tilted……yep, he’s pretty much on his side.

Look at this! Jeremy so kindly took some photos of Redroxx driving the waterfall. This is the obstacle that led to the Dana 60 and the 40’s. I’ve broken several axles here and am SOOOOO happy when I drive this successfully. Hey look, I even got Bill to ride along!

Here we go, I think we have a good chance. Hold on Bill!

Yup, that was easy! This time anyway…..

Gary Lee gives it a shot.

Oops. But all’s well that end’s well…..

Jeff found this lovely hole just up the wash from the waterfall. No matter what he tried, he just couldn’t get out of it.

Lots of nice wheel lifts during the struggle. Frustrating!

Now some from the front end. The funniest part was Jeff was up and out, even celebrating when he fell in one more time. Incredible but he eventually made it….

Here’s Gary Lee showing how it’s done.

We worked our way back down to Jeremy’s Jeep and then all of us went down Minor Threat. Just enough snow to make it slippery. Here’s a shot of the last couple of rigs coming out of the wash.

Going up the shelf road was interesting as there were no tracks on it and still quite a bit of snow. What a day! Well folks, welcome to Area BFE and Green Day. One of the best trails anywhere and incredible with some snow.

Thanks all and see ya on the trail.

Melissa

Wanna Jeep in Moab? Check out the trail schedule and our trail blogs at webejeepinmoab.com