Green River canoeing

DesertRam

Howdy everyone, I could use a little intel/info/input from those of you in the Green River area. Months back, my Scout Troop booked a canoe trip down the Green River from Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom near the confluence with the Colorado. We are using Tex's Riverways as a shuttle to drop us off and pick us up for the return to our vehicles. We are scheduled to hit the water on June 4 and get picked up on June 10. So some questions. There are 18-20 of us in the group.

First, we want to get most of the way to Moab from southern NM on June 3 and stay the night somewhere before rolling in on the morning of June 4. We'll do the same on the way out. So, any recommendations on places to stay within a couple hours of Moab? We would prefer to camp to be economical, but a hotel or other rental could be an option.

Second, any thoughts on what all this runoff will do to the Green about that timeframe? Will the usual beach areas on which folks camp be underwater? What about velocity/flow rate? Is the water moving significantly faster than a "normal" year? I ask this in order to better schedule daily progress down river.

Third, what sites should we stop and see along the way? Are there specific hiking/siteseeing destinations you recommend at which we should stop and/or overnight?

Fourth, any other advice, recommendations, warnings, etc.?

Thanks,
Troy

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The river will be high. And cold. I would definitely expect most of the sandbars to be unusable, and I would definitely direct that question to your guide company who are gonna know a lot more about that than most anybody on this forum I think.

Thursty

⬆️ This.
The river will be high, fast and cold. I have no personal experience with this trench of water but Tex’s has a great reputation and should be able to help.

As far as places to stay, can’t go wrong with Goulding’s for a room or camping if it’s on your way at all.

Last edited:

DesertRam

Thanks fellas. We are definitely in contact with Tex's, but I also know the value of first-hand information from those who have been there and done that (or at least saw that :) ).

DAA

If you were going to be getting to Spanish Bottom a few days earlier I'd make a point of saying hello. I'll be camped in the Doll House the 5th-7th, a short, but steep hike up or down from Spanish Bottom. If you guys are going to have time to kill there, it would be a cool (but steep...) hike up to the Doll House.

- DAA