Gun for the wife

blznnp

So I am wanting to get a gun for my wife, she isn't a huge fan of guns but I know once she shoots one, she will be hooked. I mainly want one for at home that she can feel comfortable using in case something happens while I am not home. Just wondering what type of guns you guys would recommend or what types of guns your wives/girl friends shoot. I was thinking maybe a 20 gauge shotgun but not sure.

Cascadia

Undecided
My wife just shoots a walther p22 until she gets used to shooting. She didn't really like jumping in to the smith and wesson m&p .40. Too much to start with.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Anything 9mm or smaller in the handgun category, 20 gauge is also nice to get her used to shooting and the noise, but a handgun for around the house is probably a better choice.

Even a .22 will get the job done and won't hurt her and scare her away.

DAA

Nothing beats a shotgun for entertaining uninvited guests in the home. Get the shortest barrel and most open choke you can. Don't load it with buckshot - use bird shot. She'll be able to clear the bedroom with her eyes closed... And not have bullets travelling through multiple walls and hurting kids in their beds. And as far as getting bad guys to pay attention and show reverent respect, I don't think anything can come close to the spectre of a freaked out woman pointing a shotgun their direction. Doesn't even need to be pointed "at" them, just anywhere within about 120 degrees of their position - they'll ask permission before shatting themselves...

- DAA

Caleb

Nothing beats a shotgun for entertaining uninvited guests in the home. Get the shortest barrel and most open choke you can. Don't load it with buckshot - use bird shot. She'll be able to clear the bedroom with her eyes closed... And not have bullets travelling through multiple walls and hurting kids in their beds. And as far as getting bad guys to pay attention and show reverent respect, I don't think anything can come close to the spectre of a freaked out woman pointing a shotgun their direction. Doesn't even need to be pointed "at" them, just anywhere within about 120 degrees of their position - they'll ask permission before shatting themselves...

- DAA

Agreed, if home defense is your goal, the easiest and safest by far is a shotgun with bird shot. Although, for a woman, that may not be the funnest gun to go shoot just for fun. I think about my wife and she'll go shoot my p22 most of the day, but even if I could get her to go shoot a shotgun (of any gauge) I'd get one shot out of her and then the stink eye the rest of the day. :D IMO, it's always important to be comfortable with your carry/home defense guns, but it's more important to just be comfortable with guns in general first. Get her shooting something smaller first, then when she really does enjoy it, get something that's better for the home defense (like a 20 gauge).

blznnp

is there any shooting ranges here that you can rent a shotgun? I think i will definitely get her something small so that she can get the feel for it and go from there.

sixstringsteve

fwiw, my wife was terrified of guns. She wouldn't even touch an unloaded gun. Dave @ compact firearms in Lehi taught our concealed class, and we bought her a p22 a week later. He did a great job dispelling the fear and not making her feel dumb for not knowing what a slide or mag or hammer was. I highly recommend him. Now she'll shoot all my guns, though she still prefers the little 22s (as do I).

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Whatever gun you get her make sure you get her to shoot it. The best firearm isnt worth squat if she can't load and shoot it. Also don't get her a "girl" gun. By that a mean a small cute gun. They are hard to shoot and they kick. Get as big a frame as she can hold comfortably.
I personally don't think a shotgun with birdshot is at all useful for defense but that is my opinion. There are a lot of myths about the pattern size and penetration of a 12 gauge with #7 shot.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We bought my wife a sig p38. She likes it because it doesn't have much kick, and is small enough for her to carry.

A gun she is comfortable with, and will/can use is much better than one she will be afraid of and get left in the safe.

R-SE

Rock-Slide Engineering
Being a girl that loves to hunt and shoot! I would say start her out with the P22/Sig Mosquito 22LR. If your looking into a shotgun for her, wait and have her try it out first. Shotguns can be very awkward for girls especially if she has never shot one before. When you do try one out make sure it is the right size for her becasue if not she will hate it!

SubLime Time

A Study in Black & Green
I'm an old female and my first gun was a Colt king cobra with a 6" barrel. I shot .38's through it and I loved shooting this thing because there was hardly any recoil. I took a gun safety class when I bought my gun and it really helped with my self-confidence (and safety). I would suggest a class for your wife too. a couple years ago I bought a .380 but hated it because I couldn't see the sights (old eyes). Now I have an LC9 which I like to shoot and carry. I keep telling my fam I'm going to open carry my Colt when I get a holster long enough. :)

rdneckride

I agree nothing can beat being familiar with the weapon and a shotgun is a great home defense weapon. With my wife, sister and mother they all know how to use a shotgun and would do so in an instant if they needed to. Though if she is to carry this as a concealed carry and use for around the house I would go with a revolver. Go to any gunshop/range and have her shoot the different calibers and get one she is comfortable with. A revolver unlike a automatic pistol will not jam. If you have a misfire all you do is pull the trigger again and again and again. The ladies all love their sigs and glocks but when they carry they carry their revolvers. The largest disadvantage of the revolved is their capacity. If she is comfortable with it and shoots it regularly she will be able to hit a target and do enough damage to stop the intruder/attacker. .38 is the caliber that they all carry but they each will sometimes practice with .357. Possibly for the one day any of us get a trip to Alaska and have to carry in case of Bear.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
If always thought that the best gun for a woman was a .38 revolver... Something like th LCR would be perfect in my mind. I think a M&P 9mm would be good for her if she was experienced, but you can't beat pulling a trigger over and over again and not having to worry about a jam.

For a shot gun, I bought a whole bunch of 870 20 gauge tactical shotguns that cal ranch was clearancing out a coupe years ago. They are great for kids or girls, short and light.... My 13 year old daughter uses one for clays. If you can find one of them I would recommend it.

rdneckride

I like the Mossberg 500 field and security combo also sometimes called the defender combo because it comes with the second short barrel for home defense. They make a ton of add on's for them that can take a field gun and turn it into a home defense go to. I specially like the slide grip that makes it easier to cycle and the pistol grip you can add in place of the buttstock. Plus you still have a great gun for going out to the field when you put the long barrel on and the stock.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a hard time putting a water gun in my wife's hands. Hopefully you are right about her getting hooked on them.

Tobyxj

3d82fb27.jpg

My lady shoots a judge I put a salad in it 410 000buck 45colt 410 bird shot 45colt and 000buck. She loves it

blznnp

I have a hard time putting a water gun in my wife's hands. Hopefully you are right about her getting hooked on them.
I hope I am right to.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, hopefully when we get back from our trip I can get her to a couple shooting ranges to get her to get a feel for it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You're welcome to come bring her up to shoot with my wife and I some evening. We can go shoot 5 minutes away from the house. We've got one of those "walking targets" I cut out with the plasma a few weeks ago.