Gun related topic to discuss - Homeowner/suspect = suspect dead in the street

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I agree but every scenario is different. Having the law on your side to diffuse a bad scenario without actually firing is also a good option to have. But like anybody else, you just have to hope you never get into that kind of scenario. :sick:

You're right. I just don't see how (and maybe there is a scenario?) that'd help you out unless the perp just turned and started running. I'm not shooting anyone in the back running away from me.

In my mind, when the weapon is drawn, the finger is in the trigger guard and pulling as soon as the weapon gets to my sight line

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You're right. I just don't see how (and maybe there is a scenario?) that'd help you out unless the perp just turned and started running. I'm not shooting anyone in the back running away from me.

You've pretty much already given a prime scenario. Say you feel that you are being threatened to the point that you have made the decision to draw and fire, the second the threat notices you pulling a piece he turns and runs off.. You've got your weapon pulled for some amount of time, whether it's 10 seconds, or 60.. Until you feel the threat is gone and you reholster. Just the mere fact that your weapon left the holster was grounds to get a brandishing charge from police later investigating the incident. This new addition to the code is to prevent law abiding citizens from receiving ridiculous slaps on the wrist for attempting to defend themselves.

So you love killing?

I know what you mean, but be careful of the words you choose when the cops are asking you why you shot someone. If you have to shoot someone to stop them you should shoot for vitals, but saying you shoot to kill makes you sound like you welcome the violence(at least to lawyers).
How do you derive that I love killing from my statement?
I hope I am never in that situation.
If I didn't intend to kill when I fire, I would load a bean bag round in my shotgun and use less lethal types of rounds.
Do you use less lethal rounds in your weapon? If not do you love killing?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If I didn't intend to kill when I fire, I would load a bean bag round in my shotgun and use less lethal types of rounds.

You just don't get it, by saying kill, your a murderer pretty much. Your just stopping the threat, if the burglar dies, it's just a circumstance of you stopping the threat

bobmed

- - - -
You just don't get it, by saying kill, your a murderer pretty much. Your just stopping the threat, if the burglar dies, it's just a circumstance of you stopping the threat
I think this is from the lawyers view.
They are going to try and make you look as bad as possible.
Think how a jury will here it, "i wanted to kill the SOB" or "I was stopping a threat to the safety of my family"

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com

Actually he is right i have been a military cop for over 15 years and tat is what we hear in class every time we take use of force training. when asked why you shot you answer is to stop the individual from doing what caused you to fire in the first place... NEVER NEVER NEVER to kill him if you fired to kill you have commited murder if you fire to stop you have done your job. Yes you fire center mass but it is not to kill it is to stop. and the center of the body is the largestp[lace to hit. i was a eapons instructor within the cop shop for a long time and when we went to 2 to the chest and one to the head. the training is the same shoot to stop even if you shoot him in the head it is not to kill but to stop and center mass shots did not work so you had to do someting else IE the guy had a vest on and was still a threat.

Always shoot to stop...

mesha

By endurance we conquer

I use the most lethal rounds I can, I hit in the most lethal spot I can, I hit as many times as I can, until the threat is stopped. If all of those things occur the threat will most likely die, but that is not my intention my intention is to stop a threat and not go to jail for being a "killer". I don't really think you love killing, I was just showing how you need to be careful how you word things. Lawyers will twist what you say. When people go hunting they(me included) intend to kill, when it involves another person I only intend to stop the threat as quickly and completely as I can.

see the difference?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You're joking, right? :ugh:

Not really, this is the way it works in todays world, everybody is out to twist everybody words around. In todays era of leo's and lawyers it seems like quite a few try to mind f*** you into saying something you didn't. But that difference in wording could mean going home or spending 25 to life

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So Wasatch Quad is on trial for theoretically shooting to Kill someone. Nice.

Actually he is on theoretical trial:p

good point, sorry if I came across that way. I wasn't my intention to be a jerk and it is stupid that the point even has to be discussed. If someone enters your home you should be able to "kill" them, but you can't.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
It comes down to the "what you say can and will be used against you in a court of law".

"He threatened me and I feared for my life. I fired my weapon to stop that threat"

Or,

"He threatened me and I feared for my life. I fired my weapon to kill him"

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Sure seems to be quiet about this in the media. Any updates?

jail.gif

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Mitch Vilos said:
"You just don't break into a home in the western states or the southern states because it's dangerous. If you want a safe place to work and you're a home burglar go to Washington DC."
That's a sad statement right there!!!!! :sick: