Gun safe recommendations

ZUKEYPR

Looking for a gun safe to be able to handle 3 or 4 rifles (not long guns), and a fe other valuables like jewelry and such. Would prefer to have it fire rated but if I cannot do that for less than 4 figures I'll pass on that requirement. Anyone have any suggestions on one that is inexpensive but still secure?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looking for a gun safe to be able to handle 3 or 4 rifles (not long guns), and a fe other valuables like jewelry and such. Would prefer to have it fire rated but if I cannot do that for less than 4 figures I'll pass on that requirement. Anyone have any suggestions on one that is inexpensive but still secure?

Can't give you a recommendation on a particular brand, but watch KSL for one.....you can usually find a pretty good one for about half of what they are new from someone who is buying a bigger one.

skeptic

I need to pick up a gun safe myself. The only thing I've really decided on is probably not stack-on. For my needs, even a stack-on would probably work, but they are so cheap and crappy....

Coming up here on black friday, Cabelas will likely have some great deals. I bought one of their big value models a few years ago for much less than $1000. They will probably have smaller safes for much less, but I'm not sure the smaller ones have any fire rating and that was a requirement for me.

jentzschman

I have had a hard time balancing price vs safe quality (steel thickness etc) While there are plenty of safes under 1k, the thickness of materials is a HUGE concern of mine. Why spend the money for a "safe" if the gauge of the materials can easily be overcome?

ZUKEYPR

I have had a hard time balancing price vs safe quality (steel thickness etc) While there are plenty of safes under 1k, the thickness of materials is a HUGE concern of mine. Why spend the money for a "safe" if the gauge of the materials can easily be overcome?

Let's just say because I can assure you that nobody is going to stick around my place long enough to have the time to cut through the metal. I want it for one of those quick grab nut cases.

skeptic

Let's just say because I can assure you that nobody is going to stick around my place long enough to have the time to cut through the metal. I want it for one of those quick grab nut cases.

My thoughts as well. A pro thief with plenty of time (ie - when I'm on vacation) is going to find a way into any safe. I have an acquaintance who works for a safe and locksmith company and he claims with his tools he can get into any personal safe, no matter what brand, in about 15 minutes. Whether it's true or not, given enough time any safe can be broken into. What I'm after is something that is kid and petty thief resistant. Fire resistant would be nice, but when it comes down to it the homeowner's insurance would cover that.

jentzschman

My thoughts as well. A pro thief with plenty of time (ie - when I'm on vacation) is going to find a way into any safe. I have an acquaintance who works for a safe and locksmith company and he claims with his tools he can get into any personal safe, no matter what brand, in about 15 minutes. Whether it's true or not, given enough time any safe can be broken into. What I'm after is something that is kid and petty thief resistant. Fire resistant would be nice, but when it comes down to it the homeowner's insurance would cover that.

Great points. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 12904

Great points. Thank you.

Aside from protecting my guns from theft I also use my safe to keep them away from my boys and other children that come in my home. Until my kids figure out how to use the plasma cutter in the garage my $400 safe will work just fine.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
^^Same here. I have a sub-$500 safe I got from Costco. Seems reasonably secure, at least it would take some work to get into it...and it's fire rated also. Just 30 minutes, but it's better than nothing.

boogie_4wheel

I got mine on sale at Sportsman Warehouse; picked up a 24cap sized Yukon Gold made by Browning. It was $1050, has keypad lock, 45@1200 rating, ~510lbs, door organizer that will hold 6 rifles (without scope, but if you spin them around so that the trigger was toward the door the rifles will just pivot on the edge of the stock, you may be able to modify this), the organizer also has little bungee pockets and loops to hang more crap on.

ID Bronco

I would not get a key pad, they are much more prone to problems, but are quick. If speed is your concern, they are great, if security is , I would get a dial.

ALSO - GET A MUCH BIGGER ONE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED. I promise you will not regret it. I am in the market for a bigger one right now. My current one holds 14 ish guns and I would like to double that. My browning safe was about $650. Costco and Sam's often have good deals too.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I think for the money Liberty safe sell the FatBoy Jr and you can get it for less then a $1000 at cal ranch and they seem to always be having deals on their safes for 1 or 2 hundred off. Cabelas sell the same safe re-branded for $1400

Last edited: