guns on planes?

airmanwilliams

So guys my father is coming to utah for a business trip on the 14th and really wants to look at some pistols at cabelas(particularly the hipoints) and was curious as to how he might be able to take it back to oregon and what the regulations are. Can some of you enlighten us please?

SpeedyVic

If he is not a Utah resident, he cannot take it with him. He will have to find a FFL dealer in Oregon to ship it to and to handle the transfer for him. I'm not certain that Cabela's will or can take his money.

Also, just to clarify. You can take a gun on a plane. It must be unloaded and in a locked box seperate from any ammo. It must be declared at the counter where a special TSA agent will take you to a secure location and inspect the gun and box. It can then get put into a regular suitcase but a placard will be attached to the suitcase. That suitcase must be checked in. No carry on allowed!

All this is IIRC.

airmanwilliams

Ive owned a few highpoints and the only one ive had an issue with is the 995 carbine jamming, never the pistols. And they have great customer service.

SpeedyVic

Ive owned a few highpoints and the only one ive had an issue with is the 995 carbine jamming, never the pistols. And they have great customer service.

I see them all the time at the range. Big, heavy, and ugly! But they do a pretty good job of going bang every time.

Sent from the Outer Limits via Android.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If he is not a Utah resident, he cannot take it with him. He will have to find a FFL dealer in Oregon to ship it to and to handle the transfer for him.

This is incorrect, as it is his personal property. It does not matter where he lives.

You will want to verify all rules/regs with the particular airline as well, as details can vary between airlines.

blznnp

there is also a cabelas in the south sound area, south of seattle by 1 1/2 hours- 2 hours, between tacoma and olympia

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My HP .40 handgun has been a great gun. I bought it for $150 with a holster and 100 rounds. It has only ever jammed when I had an aftermarket magazine. With the stock equipment it has never jammed in over 2k rounds. I've also only cleaned it once but most people don't even clean them at all.

Also, CalRanch usually has them in stock and I have to assume they're cheaper than Cabelas

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Here's how I see it.
http://www.ok.gov/cleet/documents/airplane faq.pdf
You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process. This can be done verbally or in writing.
2.The firearm must be unloaded
3.The firearm must be in a hard-sided container and the container must be locked.
(A ‘locked container’ is one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not qualify for this rule. In other words, make sure it really locks. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases on aircraft.)
4. It is ‘recommended’ by TSA that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, they will make a ‘reasonable effort’ to contact you. If TSA cannot contact you the container will not be placed on the plane.

Now that was pretty straightforward however I do not believe he can purchase a handgun out of state.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285869
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've been in the one in Eugene, and if there's one there there's probably one in Bend and one in Portland too.

Bend is way too far out of the way for a Cabelas, granted it's in the right side of the state not the liberal hippy west side of Oregon.

This is from the Dept. of Public Safety website

Purchasing a Gun in Utah It is unlawful for a gun dealer to sell or transfer any firearm until an instant criminal history background check is conducted and approved by BCI.
A valid Utah concealed firearm permit may be used to waive the BCI background check and the corresponding fees. However, the dealer is still required to call BCI to confirm the validity of the concealed firearm permit.
A person who wishes to purchase a handgun must show proof of Utah residency.
A person who wishes to purchase a rifle or shotgun is not required to show Utah residency; however, the purchaser will be required to comply with the laws of the state in which he/she resides.
Laws governing the use of concealed firearms differ from state to state. It is important to understand the laws to ensure that your actions are in compliance with Utah law. Sources: 53-5-704 Division duties - Utah Code §§ 23-20-11 et seq., 24-2-17, 76-10-301, 76-10-501 et seq.

Says you must be a Utah resident to purchase a handgun. I know how to get around that since you live here but we shouldn't advocate skirting around the law now should we.