Halfcab on a YJ?

4x4phil

I'm going to buy a yj here soon and I want to stretch it. I'll have to put a cell in the back and don't want to get high on fumes in the cab. I've heard that the cj and yj hard tops are pretty close to the same (I'm not sure if this is true). Theoretically, if I took out the rollbar, welded in a divider, and put on a cj8 halfcab would it work? My biggest concern is the doors. If I had a cj and yj in my driveway I'd find out for myself. But it don't and I'm hoping somebody'll know something about it.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Here's another option... it would be easier to store...

http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?productsku=5381815&model=yj&c=2

It even has a sunroof!!!

53819-37.jpg

Last edited:

4x4phil

I've already checked out the half cab soft tops. They're cool but still leave the compartment open to fumes in the cab. I'm still unsure about the doors fitting. Does anybody know?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
CJ & YJ doors interchange, with 2 diffrent latch designs that need to go with the style door you're running. Also, the full hardtops are interchangeable so I see no reason the CJ8 half-cab wouldn't fit on a YJ. I've seen a couple YJ's with half-cabs in the past, so I know it can be done. I just don't know if you need to make any special changes.

I love the look of a half-cab, specially on a YJ. Get it done, I'd like to see it!

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
The problem I see is that your rear spreaders are going to have to be cut off in order to fit it on there. I like the soft halfcab cuz you can still store all your stuff under the back and no-one can steal it or see it. You can make something too separate the cab and the bed out of steel or fabric and make it use snaps.

I think it would be cool, I know where there is a YJ for sale too if you are interested.