Hand gun questions

tiny2085

HomeGrown
What is the legal minimum age to posses a handgun, unacompanied and with an adult ( someone legal to posess a handgun over 21)

And when selling a handgun, is there any type of re-registry or someway to show the ownership has changed, what's a good way to protect yourself when selling to a private party ?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There is no registry.

A good way to protect yourself is to only sell to CCW holders, or at a minimum get the driver's license. Not sure, but Oquirruh Traders might run the background check for you if you want to go that far.

I know you have to be 21 to buy one, but I can't remember if you can possess a handgun younger than that or not.

Ryan doesn't need a gun. :D

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
if I remember correctly you can possess under 21 just can't own/ buy

Oquirruh Traders won't run the background for you I know I tried on a sale I did.

I wouldn't worry about CCW holders unless you are super anal.. it is not your job to enforce the law. Get a photocopy of the buyers Drivers license and keep a copy of the Bill of sale for yourself if something happens and they can trace it back to you just show your bill of sale and you are good to go :)

and no Ryan doesn't need a gun.. he needs to pay me ;)

soda blaster

I would only sell to ccw holders period and then write down all information and have them sign it.You have to be 21 to posses a hand gun I am pretty sure with an adult they can shoot at any age. I have been taking my son with me to shooting ranges since he turned 8 and no questions yet.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Maybe it's just me but sell to over 21 and cash only.

Assuming I own some guns... :spork: more than 50% would not be registered. All would have been paid for in cash and no previous owners known. :spork: You can sell to whoever you want but you start limiting to CCW expect the gun to take longer to sell. If I had a CCW and were expected to show it I would want a better price. Do a bill of sale if desire however it is not required.

Meat_

Banned
NO gun in Utah is registered*. The form you fill out gets filed in a box in the back room of the gun store and left there until the cops decide they want to go through all of the papers to look for a serial number.

*with the exception of full auto weapons.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
The idea of selling a gun only to a CCW holder is a good idea. You will do hard time in federal pound me in the ass prison if you sell a gun knowingly, or unknowingly to a felon. Draw up a bill of sale that has them state they are not a felon or have them bring a background check.

Cover
Your
Ass

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
http://www.gvpc.org/gunlaw.htm
SECONDARY SALES
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No

No state requirement that criminal background checks be done on people buying firearms at gun shows, swap meets or through newspaper or internet advertisements. Criminal background checks are only required if the buyer goes to a federally-licensed gun store - all other sales are not subject to the background check.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ut
GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE
Are background checks required at gun shows? No

No state requirement that a Brady criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows if they are sold by "private" individuals or gun "collectors." Gun shows can operate on a "no questions asked, cash-and-carry" basis, making it easy for criminals and even juveniles to buy as many guns as they want at gun shows, including assault weapons. No records are required to be kept on gun show sales by private individuals or gun collectors, making it almost impossible for police to trace such weapons if they are used in a crime.

above that you can be as paranoid as you wish. (and it sounds like there are some that are).:ugh:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I bought mine from Coreshot (haven't killed anyone, no worries ;)) I called around, found that you can have some FFL's run a background check, but was advised to just create a paper trail for both of us. I just keep the bill of sale that he made up in the case with the handgun and that's good enough for me.

Me = not :spork:

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Check out Utah Gun Law II by Atty. Mitch Velos, great reference for all things Utah gun related, I HIGHLY recomend it. In UT, it is illegal for any minor to possess or shoot a handgun without written permission from their parent or guardian on their person, even if you are their parent or gaurdian... I think you'd be hard pressed to find a LEO that would push this, but it is the law. Another great reference is www.packing.org

tiny2085

HomeGrown
ok - if I were to give my cousin a handgun for his 19th birthday, would he be able to go out on his own and practice unsupervised if he wanted to, or is it still 21 to posess?

Caleb

ok - if I were to give my cousin a handgun for his 19th birthday, would he be able to go out on his own and practice unsupervised if he wanted to, or is it still 21 to posess?
I don't know the legality of it but I can tell you in the hundreds (thousands?) of times I've been out shooting, both at ranges and just out and about, I've never been questioned on my age. I used to go out all the time when I was younger (17-19 yrs old) with just me and a couple buddies, no adults, and we always had handguns. I think he'd be fine (maybe not legal though).

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest

The problem is you can not give him the gun as he can not own it until he is 21. He can go shooting with it on his own yes.. heck he can even Open Carry if he were so inclined but he can't own it. Its a fine line but your best bet is to tell him to wait until he is old enough to buy one himself.. get him a rifle if needs be :)

soda blaster

http://www.gvpc.org/gunlaw.htm

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ut

above that you can be as paranoid as you wish. (and it sounds like there are some that are).:ugh:

I wouldn't say paranoid I just don't want to be the guy who sold a gun to a criminal and then he goes out and kills someone with it. Legally my fault or not still not something I would want to live with. If I know I did everything I could to insure that the person was ok then I feel I did my part. We defiantly don't need to give the anti gun folks more ammo. no pun intended.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I wouldn't say paranoid I just don't want to be the guy who sold a gun to a criminal and then he goes out and kills someone with it. Legally my fault or not still not something I would want to live with. If I know I did everything I could to insure that the person was ok then I feel I did my part. We defiantly don't need to give the anti gun folks more ammo. no pun intended.

I say do what you can, Verify the guy is old enough and take his word he can legally own a firearm. If you don't want to sell then don't sell. I tend to think you are responsible for what you do. I could sell it to a concealed weapon holder and they could go rob a bank, the permit is just a piece of paper.

Or you can just keep it and grow your collection. :greg:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
' The permit is also evidence of intent to follow the law, and evidence of (minimal) state-mandated training, and background checks, etc.

Let's not get ridiculous with the hyperbole. :D

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
' The permit is also evidence of intent to follow the law, and evidence of (minimal) state-mandated training, and background checks, etc.

Let's not get ridiculous with the hyperbole. :D

How about a hunting license? Hunters safety card? Wouldn't they show intent to follow the law?

If I am carrying a gun you'll see it. I'm not interested in a concealing a weapon why should I have a permit? I'm against having a permit to own a gun. The last pistol I bought I handed the guy the cash, he gave me a bill of sale and a hand shake and I was out the door.