Hands-on training class for newly-licensed ham radio operators

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well I ordered an antenna from signal stuff, figured I'd support the guys helping me study. Hopefully it arrives before

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well did a last minute sign up and went and took my tech test tonight and passed :tara: Took a miserable stab at my general, no studying for that but considering the result I think I could pass with a bit of studying

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Well did a last minute sign up and went and took my tech test tonight and passed :tara: Took a miserable stab at my general, no studying for that but considering the result I think I could pass with a bit of studying

My dad took the test tonight too and passed the Tech and General. Said he missed extra by 5 questions. Too bad he'll be out of town the 9th.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars

Congratulations! Depending on a few factors, the FCC typically issues new call signs in about a week. Let's hope they issue yours before next Thursday evening.

Based on my own experience, I'd say the jump in difficulty from the Technician test to the General test is much smaller than the jump in difficulty from the General test to the Amateur Extra test.

My dad took the test tonight too and passed the Tech and General.

Wow, that's great! Did you know he was planning to pass more than just the Tech test?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I rock the Baofeng. I accidentally mentioned once that I paid $35 for it and was publicly mocked for overpaying. If I actually learn how to use it I might see my way into getting some better equipment for the rig.

I found your call sign, John. What radio equipment do you have?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I rock the Baofeng.

Well there are different models of Baofeng radios. (Which exact one do you have, anyway?) And on top of that, their prices will typically fluctuate a bit depending on which Amazon seller comes up in your search.

I accidentally mentioned once that I paid $35 for it and was publicly mocked for overpaying.

People can be... well, idiots. Again, it (partly) depends on which one you have. And no matter what, you've got a fully-functional handheld dual band ham radio. I paid $150 for my Yaesu equivalent, which makes your purchase sound like a pretty damn low price.

If I actually learn how to use it I might see my way into getting some better equipment for the rig.

That's exactly why we're getting together next week. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just to update my equipment list a tiny bit...I have an external antenna mounted on my Cruiser, and a coax adapter to fit the top of my Baofeng...should allow for a bunch better range compared to the handheld antenna inside the car. At least in theory, I haven't actually tried it out yet. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wow--looks like the FCC has stepped up their game. Everybody who passed their test on Tuesday seems to have just been issued their call sign.

DaveN

Still OK to bring my 7yr old son? I won't be offended if anyone would rather not him come, I'll just catch up with you next time. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
fb1cbb856b2897a84af4a9e2bcaeae45.jpg

Thanks again Dempsey

Also thanks Kurt for the venue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveN

I learned a ton and in an awesome setting. Thanks for putting this together!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk