Hanging Tree trail, July 5th 2015

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Nice report. Looks like a good time. Sounds like it is even more fun than it has been in the past. It is a really fun trail. Hopefully I can squeak in a trip this year.

In regards to those not prepared I give them the speech about body damage and breakage and leave it up to them. Usually they have other friends with them so I let those people help them when they break or get stuck. It sounds like you were the only ones he had so Kudos to you for helping him get through. Not sure If I would have had the patients for that. I am glad he took it all in stride. Sounds like $1000s in body damage.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
And I thought my Rubi with all its body armor was the bare minimum to run HTT. I guess it really still is. Don't think I'd have it in me to run it with someone without at least one locker.

Sounds like it was a fantastic fun day. Good on him for not crying everytime he got some damage. There's nothing worse than wheeling with a pretty rig when the driver is scared of damage and ruins your day. Luckily he did not.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Damn. And our Jeep club was going to run that next weekend. Glad I opted out as I don't want my JKU all beat to hell.

Mike.
Yours could handle it. Mine did but I did get some body damage despite all my armor. It could have been a lot worse and I wouldn't have run it again unless I was on 37s.

The low belly height meant my undercarriage took a serious beating. Lots of diff hangers that have good potential to ruin a day.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
And Mike don't confuse what I just said as me trying to convince you to go. Having wheeled with you in the past I could honestly see you not having a great time during a lot of parts of this trail. I know how much you love your jeep and I know you want to keep it looking great and this trail has serious potential to ruin that for you.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
This is why I'm keeping my thoughts to myself for the most part.

I am all about helping folks on organized trail runs. That is why I usually run tail gunner. But this just looks like bad juju to me. I would have pointed him to epharim canyon and asked him to enjoy his day.

No offense Chris.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Sounds like it is even more fun than it has been in the past.

I sure thought so.

It sounds like you were the only ones he had so Kudos to you for helping him get through. Not sure If I would have had the patients for that.

Even that can be fun. I enjoy a recovery as much as the next guy, and it's nice to make sure your winch is operating properly. (Except for the one bone-headed recovery attempt two of the guys were going to try until we forced them to do it correctly.)

And I thought my Rubi with all its body armor was the bare minimum to run HTT. I guess it really still is.

I agree completely. For this trail, if the majority of the rigs present are locked F&R and have winches, then you can get away with having one or two vehicles that are not so built. Even still, I'll continue to tell everybody that the trail sign's list of requirements should not be ignored.

Having wheeled with you in the past I could honestly see you not having a great time during a lot of parts of this trail. I know how much you love your jeep and I know you want to keep it looking great and this trail has serious potential to ruin that for you.

That. Had Chris wanted to keep his Jeep pristine, I would not have even let him leave Utah county.

No offense Chris.

Don't sweat it--he's not on RME.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Yours could handle it. Mine did but I did get some body damage despite all my armor. It could have been a lot worse and I wouldn't have run it again unless I was on 37s.

The low belly height meant my undercarriage took a serious beating. Lots of diff hangers that have good potential to ruin a day.

And Mike don't confuse what I just said as me trying to convince you to go. Having wheeled with you in the past I could honestly see you not having a great time during a lot of parts of this trail. I know how much you love your jeep and I know you want to keep it looking great and this trail has serious potential to ruin that for you.

Thanks Brian. I think.:D I had pretty much made up my mind that I was NOT going to run the trail based on some other reviews that I had read and some youtube videos that I watched. I don't want to sound like a wuss but ya, I don't flog on my baby. I built it to wheel and use just not abuse.

Mike.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Did I miss this " bone headed "recovery?

Nope--it began to unfold right in front of you. However, I presumed you were too busy prepping your winch and maneuvering your Jeep to fully comprehend what was going on.

I think he was talking about you guys snatch blocking red jeep.

THAT.

For those of you who weren't there, here is what happened. The red TJ (piloted by a non-RME member) was hopelessly wedged. We wanted to drag its tail end to the left a bit. For our first attempt to do this, they used a short strap and the Jeep behind him and tried to pull... but this only managed to drag him into the large rock behind him rather than move him around it. Clearly, we needed to change the direction of the pull. "Let's use omgbecki's winch and that tree up there," we quickly decided.

As soon as we verbalized that, omgbecki began prepping his winch and moving his Jeep for a more proper pulling angle (which is all exactly what should have happened). At the same time, Mr Red Jeep began pulling out a second strap. This made me silently raise one eyebrow. He then grabbed a d-ring and attached this second strap to the first one, which was still attached to his Jeep. Now I quietly asked the guy next to me (Chris) what was happening. Next, the guy climbed the hill, routed the second strap itself around the tree, then tossed the free end down toward omgbecki for him to attach to his winch cable.

Now it was time to speak up. "What are you doing?!?" He mumbled something about winching his jeep with the straps. "No, no, no; you need to use a tree saver and a snatch block." He looked at me like I had just pronounced the Earth was flat. Chris and others quickly chimed in, explaining how to route the winch cable to safely redirect the pull without destroying any straps, killing the tree, or killing any of us. After a few minutes the second strap was removed (along with the d-ring), everything was properly configured, and the winching was performed without incident.

I was impressed how you all drove with patience instead of beating your rigs up.

So much this. In case I wasn't clear with the photo in my original post (captioned, "omgbecki quiety getting it done"), you did a great job driving like always. Nothing stupid or ham-fisted; just calm, sane driving. This is why I'd wheel with you on any trail at any time.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Dempsey, I don't think I have ever wheeled with you, but just the way you handle yourself makes me think I would like to someday. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Dempsey, I don't think I have ever wheeled with you, but just the way you handle yourself makes me think I would like to someday. :)

Hey, I am all about making sure everybody in my group has a great time. This means lots of fun, lots of smiles, and lots of good-natured kidding around and/or jokes. However, I also take our safety very seriously... especially recoveries. At one point when we were correcting this disastrous idea for the recovery, somebody (I can't remember who) remarked to me how they couldn't believe something like this was happening right in front of us. "I wasn't about to let something like that happen," I said. "Not on my watch."

Omgbecki

Honestly that recovery had too many chiefs directing.My winch wasn't meant to slidehis rear over It was meant purely to stop him from going into the rock while someone from the front slides the front of the vehicle at an extreme angle. The vehicle in the front needed to go to the right NOT straight. In defense of Kyle ( the non rme member ) taking orders from someone who came in an ill prepared vehicle is frustrating at best. I have seen this type of extraction countless times. Again, I was to be an anchor. But all said and done we all got off the trail safely with minimal damage. Well, except Mr. Lack of any thing that is recommended minimum for that trail.