Hanging Tree vs. JKU on 35's

Coco

We took a group of JK's through it a year or two ago. All were able to do it, and only one or two of them got any body damage (IIRC, a tail light, and a rear fender). The trail isn't as difficult as it has been in the past IMHO, I do not think you would have too much of an issue.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We took a group of JK's through it a year or two ago. All were able to do it, and only one or two of them got any body damage (IIRC, a tail light, and a rear fender). The trail isn't as difficult as it has been in the past IMHO, I do not think you would have too much of an issue.

I think I'll ride along with Skippy and then make the decision, I really don't want to f**k up my JKU. ;)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
All my damage was to sliders and bumpers. I don't think I had any body damage from it.

Umm, you may need to re-check your photos. I clearly recall the dent/scrape above the right rear wheelwell, and I'm pretty sure there were another couple body 'customizations' as well.

The trail isn't as difficult as it has been in the past IMHO

My feeling is exactly the opposite. I have run HT once or twice each year since 2012. Last year in particular was far more difficult than ever before, as the copious runoff had dug out many low areas of the trail and made all the obstacles taller.

That was also the time I brought Chris (not on RME) in his JKU on 35s and it was... an experience. He told me before going that he was open/open, and I thought he was kidding since I had just told him dual lockers were mandatory. It wasn't until we were at the trail head that I learned the truth. Since I had organized that run, I felt obligated to have a serious on-the-spot discussion with him about what was to come. He decided to go ahead and run it, come what may.

Well, various body damage is what happened. He dented in the left rear door, he ground through all layers of paint on both sides IIRC, he completely ripped off the left rear fender flare and wheel well liner, and maybe there was a flat tire in there somewhere as well. Needless to say, he also chewed up his entire underside as we strapped and winched him over damn near every obstacle all day long. At the end of the day, his steering wheel was cocked 45^ and his dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree on the drive home... though, to his credit, he did make it all the way back to Saratoga Springs.

Personally, I would never again take a JKU on 35s on that trail (lockers or not). At least not one I cared about.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
After seeing a couple in our local Jeep club come back with body damage I know I won't take mine on it. Four out of four came back with some form of damage. From a basked in quarter panel to a smashed in rear driver's door.

I think you would be wise to avoid it if you want to keep your Jeep in good order Greg.

Mike