Hauling a grain silo... Ideas?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I want to buy this and put it in my brewery's parking lot and paint it as our street sign. I need to get the dimensions on it, but does anyone know how heavy they are? Can you just put them on their side on a flat bed trailer and go?

Anybody in Logan with a trailer and looking for a few extra dubloons?

It's not a big silo. I think you could safely lay it on its side and strap it down without damage. Looks to be about 10-12' tall.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I put one together with my dad when I was a kid, it was significantly bigger than that one though. Panels about 3'x6' were probably about 40 pounds, going off that I'm going to guess around 1000 pounds. I think it will be fine to lay on its side and strap it down.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
A good idea to pursue is to check oversize load regulations before you get on the road. You may need an oversized load permit, you may need one or two pilot cars and you may need proper signage. LEOs could give you grief for any violations. I would be cautious about loading and hauling the silo on its side, it will probably deform or even kink while bouncing along the road.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That’s a great idea! How are you going to get it from flat to upright? Bring a tractor/forklift along?

I have a forklift we can use to rig it up.

A good idea to pursue is to check oversize load regulations before you get on the road. You may need an oversized load permit, you may need one or two pilot cars and you may need proper signage. LEOs could give you grief for any violations. I would be cautious about loading and hauling the silo on its side, it will probably deform or even kink while bouncing along the road.

It's only 6' wide and 13' tall, so it should fit on the trailer without overhanging. It can't be that much different that putting a truck on a trailer size wise.

4x4_Welder

That one should have the internal strength to lay down without needing bracing added, but make sure you evenly support it. If it winds up on a pressure point it could kink the side in and cause some issues.