Have a Ford Raptor? DON'T hit any bumps at speed!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm also a member of The Car Lounge internet forum and I check in there quite frequently. Today someone started a thread about an... issue... with the frame under Ford's Raptor wundertruck. Apparently the rear bumpstop design causes a weak spot where they mount to the frame, and if the axle smacks into the bumpstop at speed, the frame bends. Ouch.

p1020636o.jpg

gordon1.jpg

Here is a photo of the bump stop design:

inside_frame_drawing.jpg

Of course, many Raptor owners are complaining because they feel they are just using the truck the way Ford implies/advertises it can be used. Oh, and they're also complaining because Ford is refusing to fix the trucks under warranty.

Does anybody here own one?

Coco

I don't own one, but do want one quite bad!! Poor design, I think ford should atleast help pay for the repairs, they do say they can be used as an Offroad truck, but they're is always loopholes with everything. Cut off the bumpstop, and design a way to make air bumps work ;)

Chevycrew

Is it bending right above the bumpstop?

It looks like it would be easy to add some reinforcing after the time on a frame rack.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Is it bending right above the bumpstop?

It looks like it would be easy to add some reinforcing after the time on a frame rack.

X2 on the easy fix (after straightening) and easy prevention...

I don't think airbumps would negate any issues unless you reinforce the frame anyways... they'd likely have to mount in the same spot as the stockers. Best fix - reinforce the frame and put the air bumps in, and then jump it some more!

That is total BS about Ford not standing behind it...

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I never understood the appeal of these types of vehicles; they're not very good trucks and they're certainly not very good sports cars. Mustang + F 150 = mediocrity

Coco

X2 on the easy fix (after straightening) and easy prevention...

I don't think airbumps would negate any issues unless you reinforce the frame anyways... they'd likely have to mount in the same spot as the stockers. Best fix - reinforce the frame and put the air bumps in, and then jump it some more!

That is total BS about Ford not standing behind it...

I think you hit the nail on the head :)

thenag

I never understood the appeal of these types of vehicles; they're not very good trucks and they're certainly not very good sports cars. Mustang + F 150 = mediocrity

I don't understand your statement I don't think anyone would ever say the Raptor is like a sports car, it has 34-ish inch tires, rear locker (that can be engaged in High range)

It is not trying to be a sports car, like a lightning or anything

It is marketed as a production baja pre-runner, even heavily modified a mustang would be a horrible pre-runner

I also would like you to site an example of "these types of vehicles" I don't know that a production baja pre-runner has ever really been made before. Some trucks have "pre runner" packages but they are not designed and marketed to actually run baja type stuff. I can't think of any.

it would be more fair to compare it to jeep speed than a mustang

nathan
-99 xj with one tons

Last edited:

neagtea

Supporting Member

To steal the jeep saying that I hate, "Its a desert thing you wouldn't understand". Easy fix on the frame, we used to reinforce the C Channel frame on the older fords above the stops before air bumps were even invented. John at autofab even made bolt in's for the fab challenged.
Raptors are cool.
Just my 2 Lincoln's.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge

I dont understand your lack of understanding that this is a desert truck and not a hot rod truck and functions the same as any other truck too? I agree the truck is a sweet out of the box truck and it was made to be a desert racer oviously if has a flaw that can be easy fixed.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Obviously, it's not a good desert truck... it breaks. Just sayin'.

This is new problem that has surfaced and is a easy fix that ford should of taken care of. That said i look at the fact that ford took this in stock form and have been racing it in score and other desert races with much success, says it is a very good desert truck:D

Last edited: