Headers

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Anyone ever make there own? If one could bend up a cage, why not some headers? Do you think 1 1/2" 120 wall is to thick?

hummmmmmmmmmm.

tuck

spud crawler
HP books Race car Fabrication book shows to make a set.. but I think they were TIG welding stainless.. I'm not sure what thickness.. If you know someone who has the book, you might check it out. I just barely returned it to the library or I would scan it for you..

WJL

Most headers are made from 16 to 18 gauge. The better ones Hooker, Thorley ect are made from 14 gauge these manufactures also use 3/8" bolt up flanges so that when attaching to the head the plate does not warp over time.

Good luck

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
WJL said:
Most headers are made from 16 to 18 gauge. The better ones Hooker, Thorley ect are made from 14 gauge these manufactures also use 3/8" bolt up flanges so that when attaching to the head the plate does not warp over time.

Good luck

I understand the gauge thing, I have just never seen tubbing for sale as gauge. Wall size tubbing is more common in my world. I guess I should start asking suppliers about 16 and 14 gauge and pricing.

Thanks,

Caleb

Shawn said:
I understand the gauge thing, I have just never seen tubbing for sale as gauge. Wall size tubbing is more common in my world. I guess I should start asking suppliers about 16 and 14 gauge and pricing.

Thanks,

the only time I have seen tubing sold as gauge instead of wall thickness is when its real thin... :-\

and I am not positive but I think 16 gauge is about .060 wall...

Caleb

limegrnxj said:
I dunno if this is any help at all but have you seen these kits from jegs that you weld your self?

but most of those for the SBC are around $250 and up...I just bought a nice set of headers from Sandersons (supposed to be very nice) for $255...