heading up to AF Canyon Friday

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Going to do some camping and exploring. Called up the AF ranger office today and they said that the Mineral Basin and Silver Lake gates are closed, but that the Silver Lake gate may be open for the weekend depending on the flow. Should be a lot of fun and will have my lady to keep me warm. Let me know if you are heading up. I'm leaving the 33's at home and just running my 31in BFG A/T's, so it should be a blast up in the snow.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The bridge by the mine reclamation area was washed out pretty good. Its really soggy around there so no bypassing. We might need to go up and do some repair work once the bridge is repaired.

10-4, crossed it when the river was really nasty last week and got to snow up above. I was just wondering about the 'Mineral Basin Gate' comment as the only gate there as of last fall was Snowbirds and melt or not they are not going to have it open for us :D

lewis

Fight Till You Die
There is the gate at the bottom closer to Tibble, maybe thats what he meant since it does keep you from going into mineral basin if its not open.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is the gate at the bottom closer to Tibble, maybe thats what he meant since it does keep you from going into mineral basin if its not open.

10-4, that is the North Fork Gate, blocks access to everything in North Fork as well as everything at Silver Flats.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I'm leaving out around 6 this evening to head down, going to shoot for Forest Lake and Cascade Springs is the backup camping spot if there is too much snow. Just got off the phone with the Ranger station, Mineral Basin and Silver Lake gates are still closed and Mineral Basin will be for awhile due to extensive washout. On my way to Smith's in a minute to pick up some Ribeye and munchies, should be a great weekend!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm leaving out around 6 this evening to head down, going to shoot for Forest Lake and Cascade Springs is the backup camping spot if there is too much snow. Just got off the phone with the Ranger station, Mineral Basin and Silver Lake gates are still closed and Mineral Basin will be for awhile due to extensive washout. On my way to Smith's in a minute to pick up some Ribeye and munchies, should be a great weekend!!

Where is this Mineral Basin gate we keep hearing about?? I know there has been some discussion of putting a shoulder season gate up higher in the canyon but it wasn't there last week when the rivers were at peak flow. I'm starting to think someone up the ranger station is mislead?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There's a "road closed" barrier but no gate. I checked it ou the other day and road was really effed.

Gotcha, where do they have it closed at? I wonder how much worse the washout got. When we crossed it was ~8ft wide and 5' deep at the worst spot where it had blown through next to the 3' culvert. It was flowing an amazing amount of water around the plugged culvert. Gonna take a CAT to fix it :D