Heating? 90 Runner

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I've got a question about the heater in our 90 runner. It doesn't blow air for sh*t. I've taken the blower motor out turned it on and it kicks out hella air, but not much comes out the vents. It has good warm air, but takes forever to warm the truck up. If it weren't for the rear air I don't think it would heat up at all. Has anybody else had this problem with the 2nd gen runners? :confused:

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
There's a filter that the blower draws air through. Check to make sure it's not clogged with crud.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
suv said:
There's a filter that the blower draws air through. Check to make sure it's not clogged with crud.

I looked and can't find a filter that it draws air through. The only thing that resembles a filter is behind the glovebox and that just seals the door for inside or outside air.?? I can't see any reason for it not blowing good, all doors seem to be opening when switching back and forth, and it doesn't blow good on any setting. maybe I'll just have to tear the whole dang thing apart. PITA

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
on my first and second gen there is a round fan on the drivers side floor. Its in the heater housing. Three phillips screws hold it in. In my first gen the heater wouldn't flow FAST. I thought it was the switch. So I replased it. NOPE. So then I replace the fan (squirrel cage) and that seemed to be it. It's a little more complex than that, but it had been screwed with. But the fan wasn't getting full power on high. Pull the fan out and turn the switch lo-med-high and see if it increases in speed. BTW high should be like 6k rpm.
HTH

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I've already had it out and turned it on, it blows hella air an i just don't get it. Guess i have to heat up my bro's shop and tear it down this weekend. It's dang cold up here man.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Is your engine getting warm? The thermostat could be stuck open, not allowing it to warm up enough to produce any usable heat.

That's where I'd start.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Greg said:
Is your engine getting warm? The thermostat could be stuck open, not allowing it to warm up enough to produce any usable heat.

That's where I'd start.

Nope. The motor is heating up just fine the rear heater blows really hot air, and just a breeze from the front vents. Its weird. It blows hot air in the front, just without any force. Fan works at all speeds, and by the way the fan blows when i pulled it out and turned it on it should blow like crazy.

Last edited:

cheapzuk

When you checked the motor did you use the stock wiring or hook it up too the battery. I would check to make sure you have 12v going to it when it is on the high position. That way you know it it is a wiring problem or not.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
cheapzuk said:
When you checked the motor did you use the stock wiring or hook it up too the battery. I would check to make sure you have 12v going to it when it is on the high position. That way you know it it is a wiring problem or not.

Yes I used the stock wiring. i just took the screws out dropped the motor out and turned the key on and fan works great. Then hardly any flow out the vents when its back in place.