Heavy duty (HDT/semi) for tow rig?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Mine is a Freightliner Coranado Chasis. 515 hp 14.1L Detroit 60. Not sure which transmission it is off the top of my head, but it is a 12 speed with Smart Shift. Since mine is pre emissions I wouldn’t want anything else. The Detroit motor is louder than many of the other motors but I can tolerate it with how well it moves 40k pounds up over canyon climbs.

Last edited:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My first one was a 85 Volvo with a 6v92 Detroit and a 9 speed.
The 2 stroke diesel was miserable. Sounded cool (for a minute) but was pretty weak

My second was 99 Volvo with a 12.7 60 series Detroit and a 10 speed.
Both trucks were ugly as sin but I loved that 12.7. Loads of power, fairly quiet, dead reliable, super forgiving. You can lug it without worries of damage and it just moved. Never had to downshift on hills.

I sold it in November.

I’m currently looking for an old cabover. I’m sure it’s a stupid move. It’s going to ride like garbage, be uncomfortable, etc etc but I’ve always liked them and I want one.
Finding the right one is turning out to be a chore

IMG_0610.jpegIMG_5321.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My first one was a 85 Volvo with a 6v92 Detroit and a 9 speed.
The 2 stroke diesel was miserable. Sounded cool (for a minute) but was pretty weak

My second was 99 Volvo with a 12.7 60 series Detroit and a 10 speed.
Both trucks were ugly as sin but I loved that 12.7. Loads of power, fairly quiet, dead reliable, super forgiving. You can lug it without worries of damage and it just moved. Never had to downshift on hills.

I sold it in November.

I’m currently looking for an old cabover. I’m sure it’s a stupid move. It’s going to ride like garbage, be uncomfortable, etc etc but I’ve always liked them and I want one.
Finding the right one is turning out to be a chore

View attachment 168811View attachment 168812
All the cab overs now reside in Baja Mexico.