Heims?

Too Far

parts is parts
Sorry for the vagueness. I just want to put together some traction bars to combat axle wrap. I would like them to be strong of course, but they don't need to be NASA quality. I guess that even farm implement units would work. I tried IFA, but they looked at me like I was talking in toungues. As far as size goes I'm open to what has worked for others. The heims on Spencers buggy look pretty snazy.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The cheepest place I have found is McNees Racing in SLC. 300 west and just south of six states behing the Zions Bank.

There Heim are about $15.00, Jam Nuts are $2.00. These are good quality for a traction bar. Get the 3/4" ones, they keep right hand in stock but can get left hand ones.

Cool?

Shawn

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you have to hit the farm implement supply stores that sell tractors and such to get the ag stuff. other than that hit the 4x4 shops like factory tubular!!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Keep in mind that you don't need that lard of a heim for just a traction bar. What spenc is running is for a link suspension.

I should watch what I say because I have broken a few heims on my traction bar,,, but now I run 32,000 chrome molly.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you can make a trac-bar like this with just a shackle and some rubber bushings for flex, and it will work fine!!

tracbar-big.jpg

no need for heims!!:D

xjc

I give up :(
Listen to spence, he knows what he's talking about. A shackle will stop the wrap and still let your axle move around like it should, and its gona cost ya 15$ in matls:eek: and two quarters in lectricity for the metal glue machine. :D

Too Far

parts is parts
Thanks for all of the input! I ended up walking into Cal-Ranch last night and picked up a couple of upper links for farm implenents. They were $20 each, they have 3/4" heims, well the bolt hole in the heim is 3/4" but the threaded part is larger.
Should I take these back or are they decent for a track bar?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Sorry, a little late, but........

I have used a ton of different hiems in many applications.

Stay away from the tractor parts. They are sloppy to begin with, are cheap cast metal, and wear very quickly.

The $15 from Mcness are ECM (economy grade) they get sloppy and are not very strong. (silver)

I would reccomend the PCM series (black) from QA1 for most 4x4 applications. They hold up well and wear well. I have had the same set on the steering of they daily driver XJ for 2 years!!
They work good for your application as well.

For a 4 link I would use a larger and set or two better heim.

When I ordered them Factory had the QA1 stuff, I do not know what they have now.

I can still order the QA1 stuff if you want. 3/4 pcm are about $15 each.

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by rckcrlr
Sorry, a little late, but........

I have used a ton of different hiems in many applications.

Stay away from the tractor parts. They are sloppy to begin with, are cheap cast metal, and wear very quickly.

The $15 from Mcness are ECM (economy grade) they get sloppy and are not very strong. (silver)

I would reccomend the PCM series (black) from QA1 for most 4x4 applications. They hold up well and wear well. I have had the same set on the steering of they daily driver XJ for 2 years!!
They work good for your application as well.

Im running the black ones from mcnees, they were like $20.00, they hold up fine, better than the silver ones you were talking about.

Too Far

parts is parts
THe tractor ones I ended up with have Forged in the casting. You can't move the ball by hand, but with a bolt in them they seem to move fairly smooth although they are stiff.
Since I have these I think I will use them for a while and see how they hold up. In a simple track bar I think they will be OK, but time will tell.