Hello from Tennessee, CJ5 project

Harley Jim

Hello everyone, I'm Jim and I am in Cleveland tn. About 30 miles ne of Chattanooga.
I have a 73 cj5 that I purchased as is meaning all the work was done before I got it. It has a wander in the front end, it's not a full blown Death Wobble but at 45 mph- especially if you have just topped a hill and starting downhill it will start wandering. I had the front end aligned and all joints checked by a man we trust here and use regular. Mike said I had 3 deg positive caster and everything else checked ok. I have disassemble the front end to inspect the rest of the parts. I found that the shackles are very poor quality and one of the studs was stripped so then the delima began (getting long winded) I went to a local shop where they said all my parts were stock 73 items so I ordered new parts from Quadratec and they are wrong. My front springs are 45" inches long eye to eye, 2" wide and have a 1" eye on both ends. I think there 1980 cj5 but can't find specs to confirm this. Thanks for any help in curing this problem. I will post lots of pics ( if I can figure out how)ed

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_125745.jpg
    IMG_20180526_125745.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 11

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Man that thing looks clean as a pin. Check for cracks or loose rivets on the frame surrounding the steering box. The steering box mount is famous for flexing a lot.

3 degrees positive caster... I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be negative caster. Can you see any shims between the leaf packs and the axle spring perch?

Harley Jim

I may have it backwards it has 3 deg to the good. I will check the frame and report nack
Man that thing looks clean as a pin. Check for cracks or loose rivets on the frame surrounding the steering box. The steering box mount is famous for flexing a lot.

3 degrees positive caster... I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be negative caster. Can you see any shims between the leaf packs and the axle spring perch?

Pile of parts

My first Jeep was a '73 CJ 5. So, I am kind of partial to those. It's been a while but a simple check to see if you have '73 springs is, they will all be the same width. 1 3/4" wide I believe. '76 - '86 went to 2 1/2" wide in the rear an 2" in the front. '87 - '95 we're 2 1/2" wide all the way around. Other than that, check all wear items and mounting components. Then, get used to the CJ Sway... Also, check for cracks along the frame rails. Particularly where at the steering box and where the factory boxing in the front ends. About right where the clutch linkage mounts on the frame.

Harley Jim

Got some new shackles and shocks ordered today. I am hoping that they are a lot of the problem. The old ones were moving side to side as the steering wheel was wiggled. I inspected the frame around the steering box and it looks all good no cracks. I did notice as I grabbed the pitman arm there was a clunk in the steering box it is new and is power, is that something that needs to be looked at? Maby needs an adjustment?121398