Hello/High School Shop/How did I get into this lol...

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
So I had students father tell me about you all... So here is my story, long but interesting, never thought in a milllon years I would be where I am now:rofl:

Hello all.... A little back ground. I got my first jeep as a Jr. in high school, it was the first vehicle I bought. When high school ended I was off to college. My jeep lasted about 3 years into my college career when the motor blew. So it got parked at grandmas under the apple tree for over 7 years until I got married and had a place with a garage. At that point I began to build it. Now it sits in pretty good shape realizing that I want to maintain the jeep look and have a good crawler. Here is my jeep as it sits now. I got it back in 1994...
TheCrack2Me.jpg

So in life things never seem to go as you expect. See in college I wanted to be a wildlife biologist, and then I met this good looking gal and things took a turn. I was soon on a second path to becoming a teacher. I graduated from college and took a job as a teacher. My degree was in Agriculture education, however I never seemed to land a job in that area, in fact I ended up teaching in an alternative high school with student considered "at-risk". Very different than what I had counted on. I had found a knack for working with students struggling and would spend several years working with the at risk students. At any rate in the mean time I obtained the degree and licensing to become a principal. Tried that for a year and things were not good. At any rate I ended up where I am now...

Currently I am an industrial arts teacher. the school I work at is small around 320 students. I teach woods classes, construction trades, Computer aided drafting and also autos. It is hard to teach all the courses, but I am trying my best. As the autos teacher, the first year was really rough. The instructor prior to my arrivial was pretty sub par in several areas. As a result I am working hard to rebuild the program...

Last year the students were all put into autos 1. Book driven course with some minimal hands on, but tons of theory and knowledge. This year the best students from autos 1 were selected to take autos 2 this year...

So as planned for this year, I was trying to figure out what autos 2 should be? what should the students learn, do, etc. In addition to what they should do I had to figure the how. The how has been more challenging the what. Our auto shop is actually very small. It is actually a welding shop. Welding is offered by another instructor as a college course. The course is ran every day at 6:00 in the morning. A handful of students take the course. It is a good program and pretty successful for the few students who take it each semester. So in the middle of this small welding area is our autos program. Space sucks and worse yet the metal is everywhere... As a result we have to be extremely careful on what we do, how we do it etc...

So now looking at everything I had to figure out what I could teach in a small shop, that had no lift, limited supply of harbor freight tools and 10 young students with little to no mechanical experience... Worse yet what could I do to gain the school, board, community, student support for the program?

Then one day in September I get phone call about a jeep up north. At first my wife freaks out... At the time I had too many vehicles already... A 1972 blazer, 1972 Chevy Truck, 1985 Jeep CJ 7, 2006 Dodge ram and her car... So somehow I again convinced her for just one more vehicle... I picked this jeep up 2 weeks before school started. I paid a total $800 for it... Got it home and drove it a couple weeks. The 258 was leaking all over, the tranny shifted well, and the body was swiss cheese. When I got the jeep home the very first night a student knocked on my door at 9:15 that night asking if that was for the class. I figured that in the course we could fix it up. So I said we would work on it... Next day he and 2 other students show up asking about plans and building it. Before school started the kids had decided that we were going to buggy it... I was slowly getting convinced myself... So school started and things began to move:

Towing it home:
PassSide.jpg

The start of take down:
FirstDay1.jpg

FirstDay8.jpg

firstDay13.jpg

Body was almost totally shot... We could have fixed it, but had this come up locally for $200...
passfloor.jpg

So I ended up with a new body... I then figured I already had a jeep with a 258, a decent lift lockers etc... But it was all I wanted it to be minus a few cool things... So I decided to go big... So here we are now...
Frame is getting fixed up next week. Going with a dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, amc 360 automatic tranny, dana 300, etc. going rear stretch and comp cut and shackle reverse and front stretch. We have done well on CL and have had some really good support from some companies...

Some pics:
newtub.jpg

IMGP6310.jpg

300cleanedup.jpg

727cleanedup.jpg

14bolt.jpg

Cleaningtheblock.jpg

Twinsticked.jpg

So far we have received help from JB Fabrication, Rust Bullet, MORE Offroad, Pro Powder Coatings in Grand Junction, ARB/OME, to name a few.

I will keep you all updated on progress. This project is huge for both me and our program. I have to have succes to prove we can do it. I am in my pocket a bunch for this... It is my jeep and I will keep it, but really without it I do not see us gaining the support we need. Once this one is done we will use it to gain donations and hopefully do the next totally for the program. Build for 2 years then raffle it for the program. Just hope we get it done. I decided to use my vehicle incase everything fell through, I did not want the school stuck with a project unfinished, incomplete etc. I also did not want people to to try and cut our program cause were too expensive and with current budget cuts if I finance a project myself then my budget looks good...

Wish us luck the more support I can get the better we will be...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome to RME! Looks like you've captured the attention of your students, they're learning great skills and I'm sure they'll appreciate building up the Jeep! I hope to see the updates as they come!

sixstringsteve

Very cool story. I assume you're in grand junction? I'll bet you could get a lot of people on here to donate parts/vehicles for your projects. You could start a thread for parts you need donated for the vehicle and see what you can come up with.

I'm a teacher too, but I no longer teach in a school setting. How cool would it be if you could turn this jeep into a collaborative project across disciplines at the school! You could have the technology class build a website to document progress, the welding class could design bumpers and a roll cage, you can teach the auto part, then have a year-end trip to Moab to test it out, journalism/English could keep this thread updated and tell the story of the jeep, graphic design for the paint scheme/logos, business program to get more sponsors, basic engineering class to design the suspension, ethics and land-use/legislation around land etc. (since you don't have enough on your plate already.)

I love your enthusiasm and dedication. I have no doubt you will be able to turn a struggling program into a thriving popular class at the school. Just be prepared for 50 kids wanting to sign up for it next year. :D Best of luck and let us know if you need any help.

Haha, I think the parents should have to sign a waiver that you're not responsible if all the kids can think about is getting a jeep and wheeling. :D

Last edited:

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
Very cool story. I assume you're in grand junction? I'll bet you could get a lot of people on here to donate parts/vehicles for your projects. You could start a thread for parts you need donated for the vehicle and see what you can come up with.

I'm a teacher too, but I no longer teach in a school setting. How cool would it be if you could turn this jeep into a collaborative project across disciplines at the school! You could have the technology class build a website to document progress, the welding class could design bumpers and a roll cage, you can teach the auto part, then have a year-end trip to Moab to test it out, journalism/English could keep this thread updated and tell the story of the jeep, graphic design for the paint scheme/logos, business program to get more sponsors, basic engineering class to design the suspension, ethics and land-use/legislation around land etc. (since you don't have enough on your plate already.)

I love your enthusiasm and dedication. I have no doubt you will be able to turn a struggling program into a thriving popular class at the school. Just be prepared for 50 kids wanting to sign up for it next year. :D Best of luck and let us know if you need any help.

Haha, I think the parents should have to sign a waiver that you're not responsible if all the kids can think about is getting a jeep and wheeling. :D

We are actually a bit to the east of Junction. I am hoping to get as much help as possible, but do not expect and hand outs at all. I have been lucky with what we already have gotten. In all honesty, it is my jeep, but so far I only grab a tool now and then to demonstrate how or why etc. The students have done nearly 90% of the work. I just supervise, explain and sometimes fix screw ups...

How do others feel? Should I start a parts needed thread? I am not wanting hand outs and since it is my jeep the parts will benefit me, but the students are getting a cool experience. Heck they have talked me into an open shop night for 3 hours on Tuesday nights, and now they are wanting to work all spring break. LOL... Keeping one step ahead of them can be challenging at times. Luckily we have the axles and they will both take sometime...

R

rockdog

This is awesome!!!! I started my auto knowledge in a high school program that was aimed at academically struggling students. What the school learned was the fact that some people excel in a hands on environment and not in book work.
I am now a custodian in an elementary school. Seeing the kids enthusiasm is a huge reward for teachers. You have probably opened a can of worms you can't put the lid back on. These guys will just eat your program up and thrive. I'm glad you have a supportive wife. I don't know if you are located near Montrose, but there are a lot of locals there that would probably help and support your group if they knew about it. Killer trails there to test the kids work. Good luck!!!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Welcome, read and do the following in your copious free time. The program that got me started working on cars was at Wyandotte HS in Kansas. They brought in cars from the neighborhood and fixed them at cost plus a small fee.

Welcome on behalf of RME and the U4WDA.
Be sure to read all the instructions in "Introductions & using the Forum".

U4WDA believes the four wheeling community is best served by:
1. Education thru the use of classes, pamphlets, and films to teach responsible conservation.
2. Use Auto Dealerships and suppliers for the distribution of information.
3. Support Utah Counties in obtaining Quiet Claims to roads within their jurisdiction.
4. Stays informed and work closely with all Government Agencies and local law enforcement.
5. Where practical uses peer pressure to keep OHV use within the law.
6. Inform local agencies and law enforcement of illegal OHV use.

We promote the following: BRC/UFWDA: National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
USA-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
BRC:- National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
Usa-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
http://delalbright.com/index2.html

http://www.sharetrails.org/recreation-toolkit

http://www.nohvcc.org/education/education.asp
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.usaall.org

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
if u guys are gonna run an optima battery, i will donate a battery box, let me know what u want cut into the top

Thanks for the great welcome all. I have looked the sight over and like the approach and tone of the sight. Better than other big time 4x4 sights. If we run an optima I will look you up. Thanks a ton for your offer...

JackJoh,

I did look over the sight terms etc. I am currently developing a unit lesson on land use issues and responsible use of land. I have some students who are very conscious of the land use issues and others that have no idea. I really believe that a strong uniform effort from all OHV users is needed to protect and keep our resources open.

Also on the working on public cars from around town... When the program first started under the last guy people were interested in having the shop do work. But soon the demand dropped off and people went elsewhere... He simply was not someone to hand you keys over too.

that added to the fact that our shop has no fenced storage area, and the shop is barely big enough for my jeep, we do not have room to take in vehicles left and right from the community. For now we work on small things on the students vehicles and the jeep. I wish I had space my 2 car garage at home has more work space than what I have with 10 students. My goal is to eventually grow the program large enough to build a 4 bay shop that also has a paint booth and a section dedicated to engine/tranny building only... Hope we can get there...

Last edited:

Venture13

Gotta love Jackjo's traditional newcomer's brief. Welcome to a BB of ideas and technical theory.. Networking is the most important part of the 4x4 corner..

ricsrx

Welcome, It is great to see what you are doing with the kids!!
I wish i lived closer to check it out in person

Rick

irish1371

nice job with the jeep. I grew up in MT and my auto shop teacher use to do bottom ends for mickey Thompson, so we were a drag race town :) everyone did a project ended up being 2 fords 1 mopar and about 15 small block chevy's.

I have a ton of stocker removed parts down here in st george, axles and suspension pieces. Springs stock arms ect. If you ever take a trip down this way bring a trailer and drop me a line you can have them for the class. Always handy to have parts, even stock ones.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
OK... SO things are going to get slow here for a bit. Mandatory state testing (major waste of time, money etc.) Will take 2 weeks and then spring break. I did however create a wanted page in the wanted section for items we are needing. I know most of it I will end up buying, but you never know what someone might do to help until you ask. So here is our list so far...

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?89179-GVHS-High-School-Build-Needs&p=824806#post824806

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
Got my but kicked....

So I eventually won the contest but not after I few choice words (said under my breath so students could not hear)
whistling.gif
whistling.gif
. We are currently taking down our dana 60. today we were on the last steps of pulling the knuckles off etc. the tops were a piece of cake... But the bottom was a different story all together
dunno.gif

the lower cap was stuck on. the build thread we were using as a guide said just take a screw driver and hammer tap it in and wedge it off. Well The first one came off after 40+ minutes of whacking. It took chisels, 3 screw drivers, a 4 pound sledge.... It also meant beating my finger a few times (insert the choice words under my breath here). I then went on to the next side... My for arm was burning/elbow hurting (baseball just started up and I am a coach)...

I had sweat dripping and began the next side. Same issues. After about 30 minutes I gave up for a bit... the kids all gave me crap, so I drank a mountain dew for that popeye effect. And in 20 minutes had the second off.
woot.gif
So then I once again made my students
bow.gif
to me...

In the process I chewed up the edges a bit. If I just touch em up with a grinder will they be OK to reuse?

Also how can you tell if you need to replace the actual metal king pin tapped top with the big allen? My plastic bushing is messed up on both sides so they need replaced.