Hell's Revenge-A Christmas miracle!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
So, the die hards come out again! This time it’s Gary Lee, myself, Jeff, Jim, Larry, and Susan. We all met at the newly paved Hell’s Revenge parking lot for the airing down process. Boy, there’s still lots of snow here and snow on the first fin as well. I hope we can make it.
Jim says we’re crazy to try and run this trail but I believe in miracles…..just check this one out…..

We get up on the first fin just fine and we’re evaluating what to do when suddenly a fierce wind started blowing from the south. It was eerily warm.

The snow on the other side of the fin began to melt faster than Frosty the snowman in Hawaii…..

And before you know it, we were off on a snow free Hell’s Revenge trail. What do you know? This is totally awesome and I’ll bet you all are sorry you missed it! HA!

Hell’s Gate was snow free and dry! We watched some random stranger drive up it and then we all had a turn. Many of us went twice. Jim made it up blindfolded.

Larry was having a good time enjoying the warm weather too! He couldn’t believe our good fortune and the fact that we were making every obstacle look like a cake walk.

By the time we got to Mickey’s hot tub, it was nothing but shirtsleeves. Absolutely balmy! Look at Jeff making it right on up. Everyone did! I did it backwards! Gary Lee went straight up the side!

Then we went to the Escalator where Gary Lee showed us how to drive up! We all followed and it sure was easy. I’d never gone down Escalator before but today was the day! WOW! Don’t you wish you were here?

About the time we finished at the Escalator, the wind had shifted yet again. It started getting COLD! Even snowing a bit?

By the time we got to Tip Over, it was icy again. Luckily we had that random stranger show us the line. We barely got out in time before everything froze up again!

This was a fantastic trail day and we were so glad we had some temporary warm weather…….

Now……

Do you really……..

Believe…..

This…..

Story??

If not…..

I will provide…….

Another……

One……

Just not as fun as this one….

Here we are back at the first fin and realized it was too snowy to risk sliding down the other side. So, we’re in fact, backing off the fin. Was this scary? You betcha.

In fact, after this snowy adventure, Susan decided to call it quits and the rest of us decided to go play in the snow near Porcupine Rim. We drove up Sand Flats road to one of the Fins N Things entrances.

Jim took us over to the overlook to have lunch. There was one tricky ledge that had our tires spinning. If only we knew what was ahead.

After lunch, we headed further in towards Porcupine Rim. The idea was to exit out the regular entrance to this trail. This hill here gave us all a run for our money. Gary Lee had the most trouble and worked his way up for about 10 minutes before needing a bit of help right at the top. The rest of us came up like gangbusters and made it.

We had the Sand Flats Road in sight above us and were working up the last of the shelf road when we had a bit of a problem. Jim, Gary, and Larry all made it up even though it was off-camber with a pretty good drop off to the left.

Redroxx and I weren’t so lucky. The front diff caught a rock and spun the rear end off the trail. I’m really glad that I was able to stop where I did. Lots of help was needed including winching to a tree (yes, we used a tree strap) while Larry gave me a pull with his truck.

I finally got up and out but then it was Jeff’s turn and I’d created quite a mess for him to work through.

Yep, same thing. Gary got the winch line ready while Jeff waited patiently with his rear half hanging over empty space.

The winching was really scary. We weren’t sure the tree we used would hold and while Jeff was winching, a large rock gave way and rolled down the hill. This was awful.

Anyway after all that we had to turn around as the exit is behind where Jeff’s truck is now. That was no problem but right behind Drtsqrl, the trail is really narrow and well…..Redroxx isn’t. Jim, Gary, and Larry made it through but I didn’t. There aren’t any more pictures but let it be said that after a near roll over and a few profane words, I decided to go back down the ledge I’d just fought up and went all the way back out the way we’d come in earlier. Jeff followed me while the other three watched our progress from the Sand Flats Road.

This was an interesting trail day. We all need a few scary moments once in a while so we don’t get too confident. Today was my day but luckily no one chicken danced me for not trying that ledge again, guess everyone was too tired. Sometimes full width axles are a bit too wide……

Anyway, all’s well that ends well.

See ya on the trail.
Melissa

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
That was good, you had me until I seen Jeff wearing shorts in the one photo. :p

Ah Herzog! We all tell wheeling stories, mine are just getting a little out of control. I figured everyone would know when I said Jim drove the gate blindfolded......especially when I said I did Mickey's backwards....Ha! That's the fun of having lots of photos in the laptop hard-drive, mix and match and make your own story! Just wish we could really get on H.R., we need a thaw not another storm! :-\