Toyota Help--1998 Tacoma 3.4 clutch replacement

kd7kmp

--UPDATED--Help--1998 Tacoma 3.4 clutch replacement

Hey all,

I'm trying to replace the clutch in my Taco. I have everything disconnected at the moment and the trans is pulled about 1/2" back from the engine block. The problem I'm having is I can't get the trans to move back any further. No amount of pulling, twisting, lifting, cussing, etc., is helping. I've quadruple checked to make certain everything is disconnected. I just can't seem to figure this out. I've never had a trans be so stubborn to pull back and out. I'm ready to put it all back together and take it to a shop to get the job done but I really don't like the $1000 quotes I've been given. Any advice? I'd surely appreciate it. Thanks.

Kevin

Last edited:

chans

If you are sure nothing is in the way catching or connected what I do is use a pry bar and go around the tranny and move it a little at a time. I have had to do that with a couple inline 6 jeeps.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I used a ratcheting tie down strap hooked one end to the transmission and the other end back by the rear bumper and cranked it down until tight and wiggled the transmission to get mine off. Other than that make sure you haven't got a fuel line caught on the top of the transmission. For some reason there was way too much stuff attached to the transmission on the 2.7L to make me happy.

yota87truck

Yotas ROCK
2" Body Lift! Makes the clutch job cake! Although if it weren't for the fact that the BL was on when I bought it I wouldn't put one on... Maybe a 1" BL but not a 2" (what I have) or bigger. My steering has a iffy spacer and some wiring is stretched and shifter hits the body. I have also done a clutch on a stock 02 tacoma (no lift or BL) it was tight and some bolts took some unique extension setups to reach but it came out with out too much difficulty. I think I removed the exhaust (part of it). If I remember it hit on my 98. That might be what your caught on.

kd7kmp

yota,

I know what you mean by needing lots of extentions. The top two bellhousing bolts are a bit tough to get at. I thought it may have been the exhaust, but the trans has plenty of room around the crossover and down pipe.

Kevin

kd7kmp

Well, after yanking, pulling, etc. some more I've decided to put it back together and take it to a shop. I've already got a clutch kit, so can anyone recommend a shop near Springville (Provo/Orem area) that does good work and would be willing to use my parts? Thanks for the help.

Kevin

kd7kmp

Steve,

I'd forgotten all about DJ. He's an old friend of mine. I remember when he had his little shop adjacent to where his new building is. I'll have to call him.

Kevin

kd7kmp

--UPDATE--Trans is out

--UPDATE--

I got the trans out and everything is ready to go. I just need to get the flywheel machined. I need to know if there's a shop in Provo/Orem area that can machine a flywheel the same day it's dropped off. Thanks.

Kevin

UFAB

kd7kmp,

If you need any help let me know, looks like we are down the road. Full service shop with lift.
UFAB 801-719-8140