???? HELp alternator

redtoy92

Okay First off I have an 1980 Toyota pickup with a Buick 3.8 even fire I think out of a 1983 regal it is the standard non-turbo. I am having a problem with the alternator. It has one prong on the back for a wire connection and on the side of the it alternator has a 2-prong plug in. the plug that goes into the h alternator as two wires, one of them goes all the way around to on of the wiring harnesses. I am guessing that goes to my ignition some how or where. They have the other wire coming out of the plug at only a few inches long with an closed eye on the end hooked up to the prong on the back of the. alternator They also have a direct connection between the battery and the alternator at that same prong.

So now you know the set up but the problem is I am getting NO charge from the a alternator t all!!! I have had it checked twice and it is fine. I talked to a few guys and they seem to think that the wire that is going to the prong in the is alternator supposed to hook up to my coil some how. Does that sound right to anyone?? I have checked the battery and all the grounds and wires and they are fine. I figure it has to be something to do with the wiring somehow. I am not the original owner so I am not sure how or why they did some of the wiring. And I cannot get in reach of him. So any help would be great thanks.