Help design or approve my next AR build!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have a suppressor for a 5.56 waiting to be picked up. I am pretty happy with the current AR's I have and would like to build one to put the suppressor on.

(Otter Creek Polonium)
POLO2-scaled.jpg

I want to go pistol. I need at least a 10.5" barrel, so that if the arm brace rule becomes law I can pin and weld the suppressor and be over 16" total.

I already have a Davidson Defense lower to start with.

1702352503133.png

I think I would really like to try a side charge upper. This one has charge handles on both sides.

(Davidson Defense 'Benedictus')
1702352605339.png

A must have for me is an ambidextrous safety. This is the best kit I have found that has the right balance between what I want and not having to double purchase some items.

(Strike Industries Kit)
lrpth_update.jpg

I think I would like to try this more quiet buffer tube system

(Armaspec SMB)
1702353145121.png

I have always bought a rubberized grip for my AR's, but recently tried one of these skeletonized grips and absolutely loved it, so I think I go with it again.

(Adaptive Tactical LTG)
AT-01900-ltg-3quarter-back_2048x2048.jpg

And of course a standard SB3 brace

Sb-brace__61641.1587588654__41670.1631776831.jpg

What do you think? Fun enough gun? Something I should change?

Now I just need a new president to lower interest rates so that I can earn income again, and then I'll go buy parts!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I need at least a 10.5" barrel
I'd go 11.5 min, ~12.5 is ideal for pistol / sbr. A lot of data out there on 5.56 and dwell time benefits. The biggest improvement in accuracy and performance was stepping up to 11.5" barrel and it was so much of an improvement that it made the 10.5 look really bad.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'd go 11.5 min, ~12.5 is ideal for pistol / sbr. A lot of data out there on 5.56 and dwell time benefits. The biggest improvement in accuracy and performance was stepping up to 11.5" barrel and it was so much of an improvement that it made the 10.5 look really bad.

Is this true for .223 also, which is actually what I’ll be shooting

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Is this true for .223 also, which is actually what I’ll be shooting
I would assume so.

Here's my recent favorite small parts supplier - they are quick turnaround and the prices are good too.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Paul always does great videos. I just watched this one.

His conclusions show a drop in velocity, which makes a drop in damage to target, but not much of an effect on accuracy.

ebryson

I have a suppressor for a 5.56 waiting to be picked up. I am pretty happy with the current AR's I have and would like to build one to put the suppressor on.

(Otter Creek Polonium)
POLO2-scaled.jpg

I want to go pistol. I need at least a 10.5" barrel, so that if the arm brace rule becomes law I can pin and weld the suppressor and be over 16" total.

I already have a Davidson Defense lower to start with.

View attachment 167408

I think I would really like to try a side charge upper. This one has charge handles on both sides.

(Davidson Defense 'Benedictus')
View attachment 167409

A must have for me is an ambidextrous safety. This is the best kit I have found that has the right balance between what I want and not having to double purchase some items.

(Strike Industries Kit)
lrpth_update.jpg

I think I would like to try this more quiet buffer tube system

(Armaspec SMB)
View attachment 167411

I have always bought a rubberized grip for my AR's, but recently tried one of these skeletonized grips and absolutely loved it, so I think I go with it again.

(Adaptive Tactical LTG)
AT-01900-ltg-3quarter-back_2048x2048.jpg

And of course a standard SB3 brace

Sb-brace__61641.1587588654__41670.1631776831.jpg

What do you think? Fun enough gun? Something I should change?

Now I just need a new president to lower interest rates so that I can earn income again, and then I'll go buy parts!
If you're concerned about aesthetics (I am when it comes to my guns) I'd suggest getting a different lower parts kit or getting the standard looking pins. I love Strike Industries stuff but I don't think the takedown pins match the lower. I also love a drop in trigger, makes things 10x easier to maintain and put back together. Being a cross dominate shooter I totally agree with the ambi safety.

Just for reference, here are those same pins on "standard" lower.
20231211_221922.jpg

As for a side charging upper I really like my Gibbz Arms non-reciprocating upper. It is a little pricey but I think it is worth it.

NYCEGUY01

Short AR’s and suppressors are a pain …. I like a standard buffer setup.
That way you can get a stiffer springs and heavier weights etc…
They all seem to take some fiddling to get them to run. At least in my experience.

I have a 12.5, a 11.5, a 10,5, and a 7.5 AR…lol
I always shoot the 7.5. By far the most, usually with a saker k on it.
None of them with any can are hearing safe though.
The 11.5 and 12.5 are better shooters but the shorty is more fun.
If I needed to actually do something important with one I’d probably grab a 7.62, prob the 11.5” one with a Dead air Sandman on it..lol
Maybe the bolt gun if I needed some accuracy I guess…

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I approve of all AR builds. Don’t make me choose between my children.
Amen, brother.

The funnest one I have is an Aero EPC 9 w/ a 7.3" barrel. It's my favorite to shoot but it's certainly no AR15.
I pack that EPC with me most often because it just fits in most places. Highly recommend.

I also built an 18" barrel SPR w/ a 3-15 optic. Sadly I haven't even ranged it yet. :(

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Amen, brother.

The funnest one I have is an Aero EPC 9 w/ a 7.3" barrel. It's my favorite to shoot but it's certainly no AR15.
I pack that EPC with me most often because it just fits in most places. Highly recommend.

I also built an 18" barrel SPR w/ a 3-15 optic. Sadly I haven't even ranged it yet. :(
I’m also terrible at getting mine ranged in after building. Need a tannerite/desert day.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Well, unfortunately I came to my senses.
I’ve got a couple perfectly good AR’s that the suppressor could go on.

I’ve already got a few M&P 15–22’s that I could put to good use.

I think I would get much more use out of a couple more suppressed and subsonic .22’s for the shooting range at our property. So I’m going to spend any money I find to build those instead.

Either way, it’s still more guns and more fun!