HELP!! Engine problems

Here's the story. I need all the help I can get, this one really has me.

The engine's a 3.4l from a 95 Firebird. Replaced my old 2.8 in the cherokee.

The swap went well, it's pretty much a straight drop in.
At first it would fire and die right off. No problem, this was the antitheft sys. Bought a little electronic bypass thingy for it. Then it start and run but stumbled and didn't run real strong. It would missfire and studder, reved okay but generally ran like junk. Once in a while it would smooth out and run just fine.
I had the collector for the exhaust made up at mepco, picked it up and drove it up and down the street two times. Then I parked it and turned it off. Went back started it and it ran like trash then died. After that I couldn't get it to start. It'll crank and rythmically fire every couple seconds.
All the spark plugs are new. The wires are old. I thought it might be the ignition module so I replaced that with a new coil pack from a scrap yard. Nothing.
Checked one wire for spark and it was fine. I'm going to check the rest tomorrow. I'm also going to pull the plugs and check them out.
It won't run on starting fluid either so that makes me think it's an ignition problem, but then I check for spark and there it is. ?????????

Any ideas? :confused:

Also: This might help. If I haven't tried to run it in a while I can go out and it'll start up but run on only a couple cylenders then eventually die and not start again. Starting fluid doesn't help.

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'm not sure what all is on the 3.4L but sounds like a timing issue. I'd check any sensors (cam position sensor?) or anything associated with that.

Caleb

being there is spark but yet it's still wont fire off starting fluid i would have to say timing too. I assume you have verified you are getting fuel, and have the correct PSI and GPM fuel pump? (carbs generally require much less PSI and GPM than EFI does)...

Yup, should be 45 psi. Pump is coming on and you can feel the pressure in the soft line to the engine. I haven't hooked up a guage to it yet though.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
crimsonride said:
so that makes me think it's an ignition problem, but then I check for spark and there it is. ?????????

i had a problem with an 89 xj that sounds similar to this. it started after i changed my plugs and wires. it would die all the time, run like turd intermittently. changed the o2 sensor, changed the cps. ended up being the ignition control module itself.

Hmmmmm, where would you find the ignition control module? Sounds pretty close to what mine's doing.
I'm not going to have time to work on it tonight but I'll let you guys know what I find tomorrow.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
if i remember correctly, it was on the left side of the engine compartment (when looking at the engine from the front), bolted to the side. its been about 4 years since i did it, and i don't have the jeep anymore, so i'm just going off of fuzzy memory. your HAYNES book will tell you.
have you looked on the NAXJA BB yet. they were a good source of help also. :)

andy d said:
if i remember correctly, it was on the left side of the engine compartment (when looking at the engine from the front), bolted to the side. its been about 4 years since i did it, and i don't have the jeep anymore, so i'm just going off of fuzzy memory. your HAYNES book will tell you.
have you looked on the NAXJA BB yet. they were a good source of help also. :)

Well, it's a camaro engine so it won't be in the same place. I'm pretty sure it's the plate that the coils bolt on to though. In that case I replaced it with no difference made. I've been swamped with work but soon as I get some time I'm going to try a few things and let you guys know what I find out.

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
Just have Dennis come over there and look at it. Unless you have tried that and they want you to pay for their appraisal. Or maybe try Ben he would probably help you out.

I could give you my opinion but you know it would be wrong!

ShortShaft said:
Just have Dennis come over there and look at it. Unless you have tried that and they want you to pay for their appraisal. Or maybe try Ben he would probably help you out.

I could give you my opinion but you know it would be wrong!

That's my next move actually, I think I'll throw her on the trailer and pull her around to various mechanics and see what they think.

I should get some time today to get something done on it. I'm just getting swamped with work. :mad: