HELP! first trip to Moab!!!!

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone here could help me plan out my first trip to moab, what trails to run, where to camp. i plan to come down ether late thursday night on sept. 20th or leaving salt lake on friday morning before the sun comes out. I will have a small group with me and most of us are fairly experienced, but we will have a few noobs in next to stock rigs. is there any free camping close to the trails/ area? thanks a ton for your help guys.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Free camping is pretty hard to find and be close to anything. Fo rthe first trail I would run fins and things its a good little trail and if there are some beginners I am sure they are dieing to get on the slick rock

Free camping is pretty hard to find and be close to anything. Fo rthe first trail I would run fins and things its a good little trail and if there are some beginners I am sure they are dieing to get on the slick rock

is that a beginner trail then? How long does it take to get through it?

ret32

...is there any free camping close to the trails/ area?...

Check the BLM's camping restrictions map at the following link... http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/where_else_can_i_camp.html ... there's a link halfway down for a higher quality image of the map. Anything yellow and without the red or blue hatch marks is open to disbursed camping. Also, toward the bottom of the page, there is a list of BLM maintained campsites that are free.

These sites are marked with a brown post and a tent symbol. The sites are free, but campers are required to carry out all garbage, including solid human waste. Campers are required to possess, set up and use portable toilets. Campers may not bury, or leave exposed, solid human body waste and soiled toilet paper. The disposal of solid human waste off public land is required. There is no wood cutting allowed. The sites are summarized below.

Gemini Bridges Road - There are six campsites located in Bride Canyon.

Picture Frame Arch Area - There are four sites located six miles from Highway 191.

Mill Canyon/Cotter Road/Dubinky Road Area - There are approximately 40 sites located in this area.

Kane Creek Crossing - There are approximately 28 sites located along Kane Creek where the Kane Creek Road crosses the water.

Dripping Spring near Ten Mile Wash - There are several large campsites on the west side of the road and within the riparian fences.

sixstringsteve

well you should :D

sorry for the misinformation. I'll edit my post. But definitely buy that book. If you plan to go to moab more than once in your life, you'll learn just how awesome that book is.

Last edited:

iconwill

ROXX N ROLLER
I agree with Stephen that Fins N Things is the trail to try first. It's much easier than the others he mentioned and it runs along side Salt Flats Rd, so if something happens you're a short walk to a road. I think Hell's Revenge is a blast. It hase by-passes to all the really tough stuff. Gemini Bridges is very tame and takes you to some breathtaking scenery. Kane Creek is a favorite, but have a good suspension and a way to air up because you'll want to air down for sure. it has over 40 wash crossing and a few driving down the river opportunities. There is a severe canyon climb over large boulders. Many turn around there and head back to town. While you're in the neighborhood, Hurrah Pass and Chicken Fingers are fun and beautiful too, but not real challenging, but safe to be sure. Going up to Hurrah Pass, you come to a large parking lot that has a sign to watch children and pets because there is nothing stopping you from fall straight off the cliff. It's simply spectacular.

Have fun!

jentzschman

Agreed. Get the book. You can also buy it down there but I have the color copy with spiral bound and it is super nice. They might have that version down there, but I have yet to find it.

All these trails are very fun. Kane Creek WILL leave scratch marks on your rig if the branches are bad like the time I went.

Hell's revenge is one of, if not the most popular trails so there will most likely be many people on it. Poison Spider is also very fun but there are a few challenging sections.

Fins 'n Things, Poison Spider Mesa, Hell's Revenge, Kane Creek. All pretty easy, gives you a decent taste of the area. Depending on the size of your group, plan at least half a day per trail.

I'd recommend picking up this book:

Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails

Excellent information on all the trails around moab.

sixstringsteve

kane creek might be a bit much for the stock rig/noob moab driver. There's only one or two sections that are tough, but they're enough to get a noob's heart racing.