HELP!!! furnace problems

MattL

Thanks for the replies..
First off.. it is a 2 wire set up.
Got one new digital thermostat.
So I turn the thermostat on to the fan setting and the fan should come on. the door is closed for the furnace switch.

The heater is a auto light so its not the pilot light to my knowledge.

As far as the filter goes... the funny part is that there is not a slot for a filter. I have tried looking for it but cant see it. I am wondering if there is a inline filter some where but havent seen it yet..

Still brrr..

Help again...

TELFORD

its a work in progress
you have to have a filter in there somwhere, I had the same problem, as soon as I replaced the filter..........nice and warm.

MattL

The thing is the fan should spool up even if there isnt a filter in there, (I think) I mean there is a fan setting on the theromostat that allows for the fan only.
The other thing is there seems to be no prespool for the heating when I move the theromostat to the heat and increase the desired temp.. Meaning the fan doesnt turn on to clear out the prefumes. So here is the question.

A.The gas has not been turned on but that shouldnt limit the fan from coming on should it?

B. The clicker is continually clicking to start the flame so I think that is normal. So when the gas is on the clicker should light the pilot light.

Should I turn on the gas to see if the fan will work. That doesnt make sense to me. The gas shouldnt limit the fan cause you should be able to turn the fan on at anytime of the year with out heat.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Safety feature on newer furnaces the fan doesn't kick on until the flame is going. This way the gas gets vented outside instead of filling up your house and the a big boom! Get your gas turned on! That'll help alot!

MattL

onetuff76 said:
Safety feature on newer furnaces the fan doesn't kick on until the flame is going. This way the gas gets vented outside instead of filling up your house and the a big boom! Get your gas turned on! That'll help alot!

Your comment contradicts itself.. which is why I have this question. Shouldnt the fan come on before the flame to get airflow moving and to get the fumes out so no ka-boom?? I guess the pilot light is on almost all the time time and fan is not on all the time so maybe you have a point. .. maybe ill try that

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
no no no, houses have freshair vents into the furnace room so the gas is vented outside rather than dispersed through the house. Turn your gas on then I bet you'll get some heat.

MattL

So update..
Turned on gas, err opened up the valve outside, turned on the switch by the furnace, turned on the gas valve in the furnace. Closed the heater door. Pilot light is a clicking to light the pilot, turned up the heat, and volia..

nothing..

still brrrr in the home... any other ideas?

Questions..

What kind of pressure does natural gas have from the pipe? Is there alot of pressure in natural gases pipes or lil to none? There did not seem to be any sound of escaping gas. Does it have to accumulate or should there immediate sound of gas from the manifold?

Any other troubleshooting techniques?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
do you have a gas stove? how's it working? how's the hot water heater doing? if they're doing fine then the problem is not likely with your gas. Either your thermostat or the control board for the furnace.

kirk86CJ

Is your water heater lit, and working?

1 minute too late. One other thing. You should be able to jump the wires on your thermostat to know it is calling for heat.

MattL

I dont know about the hot water heater as I have not wanted to turn on the water for fear of breaking a line with the freezing tempatures and haveing no heat in the house. I dont know what the rules or best set guidelines are pertaining to that but thougth that might be the best. If anybody has a rule they go by on winterizing pipes and if I am thinking correct. If its not going to hurt to turn the water on then I can.

No I have an electric stove; in the near future I will be getting a gas stove though..

I did think of lighing the hot water heater but didnt have anything to do it with when i went there at lunch. I guess i will be doing that today. That would be a good test to see how the gas flows.

Still does anybody know what kind of pressure is in Natural gas lines going into a house? Should I be hearing sound coming form the manifold?

TIA....

MattL

kirk86CJ said:
Is your water heater lit, and working?

1 minute too late. One other thing. You should be able to jump the wires on your thermostat to know it is calling for heat.

Just to clarify this "jumping the wires" like hold them together for a short time (tap them together once or many times) or a long time (like twist them together) to make it call for heat?

The heater I have at my old house had like 5 wires so this one is a bit different.

Does any one know what the going rate for a heater dude? Any one got some references for a good guy to potentailly look at this?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
pressures vary depending on certain things. I'm not familiar with the codes on the pressures though, a plumber should know.

kirk86CJ

When I say "jumping wires" I mean twist them together. But, it you hear your igniter clicking, then I think that means it is calling for heat. Make sure you can see the igniter making sparks.

I think you need to verify you have gas to you heater/waterheater. If it were me, I would make sure the water heater is full of water, and try to light it. Once you know its on, you know you have gas at least to there. I installed a new gas line for a heater in my garage. I had to turn the gas off at the meter. Once the gas is turned off, it takes a while to get back to the appliances.

We have to winterize an old house in southern utah every year. We just get 3-4 gallons of RV antifreeze.
1. Turn off water into the house
2. Open all taps
3. Drain Hot Water Heater
3. Dip all water out of toilets
4. Put the RV antifreeze in every sink, toilet, tub, etc.
When you turn it back on, make sure all the taps are turned back off.

Was this house really winterized, or was the water just turned off?

One more thing. I think you can get Questar to come and check your water heater/furnace for free. (I know they used to, but I'm not sure now)

A heating guy will probably charge you $75.00