Help in southern utah

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
What is the current situation of the maze?
1- who owns the land its on? BLM or part of sand hollow state park?
2- Who can i contact to keep it open?
3- Is there any current group fighting to keep it open and if so what is there progress?
4- Sign me up so we can save this sweet place!
I am worried as this area is becoming more popular that some "hippies" are going to take it away from me! I can do whatever to save it. Its almost my backyard and i really like having a little "moab" in my backyard. I can see this area becoming a day stop on the way to the cedar trails and on the way to moab. If you have seen this place you know what i mean.
thanks!

Don B

formerly rebarguy
There are people involved in this who have been working all along with the BLM and have a good relationship with them.

At some point, I'm sure that this area will come under attack and we will all need to stand behind the groups that are working to keep it open.

To offer your assitance now, I'd suggest contacting Kurt "Bruzer" with Utah 4x4 Club and maybe some cleanup or repair projects can be put together.

We need all the help we can get in these battles to keep our access open. Everyone can help by taking care of the places where we wheel, picking up trash left by others and not abusing the trails.

desertrat

The Maze is on BLM land, but the state park has jurisdiction over it. Most all all of the Hurricane Sand Dunes is currently 'open area', but that can change anytime. I am currently working with the BLM to get this trail and many others in the area mapped out and recognized as existing routes by them. It's only a matter of time before the "granola people" start to do the save the earth thing, and like Moab try and restrict you to existing trails only.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
State Park

Is has been my understanding that the state park has as much interest as keeping and mapping these trails as anyone. They have a big interest in knowing and mapping them for the simple reason of management and repsonding to an incident if one occus on one of these trails. Also the main staging area off of washington dam road by the fault line will eventually be a reservoir site managed by Utah state park and access to the dunes and the trails will then be even more managed and controlled for the simple fact that to get in you will have to enter the state park. Protecting this area is vital to the state parks as a constant source of income for them. I don't see that the OPEN OHV status of any of the maze or area will be threatened by some greeny. My 2 cents