Help me decide on new rig

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I think I'm down to the GX470, 4Runner, or Nissan Pathfinder (last generation). For the $$$, I can get a newer pathfinder, with lower miles, than the toyotas... Are the Toyotas really that much more reliable?
My wife's DD is a 2012 Pathfinder. We bought it with 11K miles on it and it just hit 90K a few weeks back. We have had absolutely zero issues with the car. It's is great in the snow and a comfortable ride for us all around. We have not had it off road a ton, just some dirt roads here and there and had it in 4WD once from a wheeling aspect. It is not an off road vehicle for us though, more of a family wagon.

Our first choice was a 4 Runner and because it was a DD we decided against a 4 Runner. And by "we" I mean her. We had a list of pros and cons at the time. I could tell you anything from that list at this point.

Not sure if this post is even helpful for you other than the fact that we have enjoyed the Pathfinder and it has been reliable for us. Steve does make some good valid points about difference in info and how accessible it is. Have fun making a decision, I always enjoy the research of finding a vehicle and picking one out. Hate paying for it though.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I would recommend driving each and then deciding. I like all the vehicles you mentioned, but I am really loving my GX. I was one that thought I got a deal, only to pay more in repairs than I care to admit. I do love it now though.

The biggest difference for me between the 4Runner and GX was room inside. The GX is a lot bigger inside.

Most of the GX's come with the 3rd row too.

Per Steve's recommendation, try to get a non navigation model if you can find one. If you get the a nav, you are stuck with that head unit, and it is spendy to replace if it goes out.

The 4Runner and GX are very capable off-road if that is your long term goal. I took my GX on Poison Spider this fall and it did great!

My offer still stands to take mine for a spin if you want.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Thank you! I'll message you when we have time to run up there. I drove a few different cars today. Liked the pathfinder more than I thought I would, but the lexus felt more put together. Leaning that way. I do plan on staying away from Navigation, and as much other electronic add-ons as I can. More stuff to break...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Thank you! I'll message you when we have time to run up there. I drove a few different cars today. Liked the pathfinder more than I thought I would, but the lexus felt more put together. Leaning that way. I do plan on staying away from Navigation, and as much other electronic add-ons as I can. More stuff to break...

The only other thing on the GX to swap sooner than later is the rear air bags. It's easy and relatively cheap to swap in standard springs, but a great opportunity to install a lift.

sixstringsteve

If you go with a 4runner, I recommend staying away from a model with a sunroof - it takes up to much usable space inside. I'm only 5'6" and I felt like my head was almost touching the ceiling. Man, I miss that rig though. V8 4runner limited. That was a great rig, but it got poor mpg (15-16). My van usually does better than that.

larrybenny

larrybenny
Keep in mind that all of the non-domestic vehicles mentioned have very high priced transmissions in them. Big chance to take with a high mileage used vehicle, if the trans goes out you are looking at $3500-$4000 for rebuild.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I've owned 3 monteros, including a white 2003 model (later sold to Steve, now owned driven by a good friend of mine). I am not a do-it-yourself mechanic, which is why I own toyotas. I love the monteros, and if I was someone who enjoyed figuring stuff out and doing my own repairs, that's what I would be driving right now. Good engineering and build quality for the dollar. However, if stuff does go wrong, it can be costly at any repair shop, and the pool of local enthusiasts is really small (compared to jeep/toyota etc.) so I was always unable to get cheap knowlege/fixes from folks in-the-know.

I agree with Steve on how to buy toyotas. Find the model you want, optioned the way is important to you, in a condition you are very happy and comfortable with, and pay fair market value. I swear I lose the most money on 'special deals,' or compromised purchases - I will either sell because its not what I want, or the reasons it was on sale in the first place become apparent and expensive.