Help me design my first camp stove/chuckbox

sixstringsteve

If I ever get rid of the shell on my truck, I'd like to be able to chuck it in the back of my truck in any weather condition and not have to worry about it. That's how I'd like all my camping storage boxes to be if possible.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'd just make a waterproof case to put the box in for storage. I believe Wave on 21st and ~200 W in Salt Lake custom made the one for Kurt.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Yep, the guy who made Kurt's cover for the KK is amazing.. I believe he paid around $100, but you can instantly see the beefy quality that went into building it.. It will most likely outlast the KK.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I like the Kanz setup.. I wonder what a cheap top tool chest box with the drawers removed and replaced with a door would do for function.. seems like you could put your stove and some fuel in the top (maybe even a griddle)... then the rest in the bottom.. build something for legs, a little gasket material to make it water resistant and.. :)..

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yep, the guy who made Kurt's cover for the KK is amazing.. I believe he paid around $100, but you can instantly see the beefy quality that went into building it.. It will most likely outlast the KK.

Yup, Steve is the man. I was just there this morning. He is making two more bags for KK projects, this time adding some external storage. He has made me some other neat things over the years, money well spent.

sixstringsteve

Cool, good to know. Let me know if you want me to pull any of the pictures Kurt, I probably should have asked if I could post 'em up first.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, have you seen my camp box?? It would be easy to put some hinges on the lid w/ some chain stops so that the lid folds down and stops like a table....then put your burners on the lid and pull out the drawers where the burners are....and completely water and air proof with the lid on. I think it would work out pretty awesome! I have an extra box and drawer set if you're interested......

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Cool, good to know. Let me know if you want me to pull any of the pictures Kurt, I probably should have asked if I could post 'em up first.

Not at all man, great stuff. There are some giant 'chuck box' threads on ExPo and others, very little is unique anymore these days. Cody, Stephen and I camped in Beef Basin with my buddy Greg that uses military cases for his chuck boxes, he's got them pretty dialed in for his needs. I think if I were to start from scratch I would use the plastic Hardig or Pelican style cases and build a divider from there. So long as the stove was properly build and shielded there would be no reason plastic couldn't be used. As far as the cases, mine has been through a few seasons of dust, snow, mud and rain... it keeps the contents dry and dust free and I simply let the cover dry out in the shop for a day or two before storing it.

sixstringsteve

Steve, have you seen my camp box?? It would be easy to put some hinges on the lid w/ some chain stops so that the lid folds down and stops like a table....then put your burners on the lid and pull out the drawers where the burners are....and completely water and air proof with the lid on. I think it would work out pretty awesome! I have an extra box and drawer set if you're interested......

No, I haven't seen it. My interest is piqued. I'd love to check it out sometime.

sixstringsteve

Cody, Stephen and I camped in Beef Basin with my buddy Greg that uses military cases for his chuck boxes, he's got them pretty dialed in for his needs.

Are you talking plastic military cases, or metal ones similar to mine? I'd love see what he did with his. Got any contact info?

I think if I were to start from scratch I would use the plastic Hardig or Pelican style cases and build a divider from there. So long as the stove was properly build and shielded there would be no reason plastic couldn't be used.

I need to learn more about how to shield my cases.

sixstringsteve

I think the boxes are bigger than I need, so I'll probably end up slimming them down somehow. I do like how sturdy they are; and they are a bit hefty. Thanks for the input everyone, we'll see how it turns out.

irish1371

hate to be the pycho one of the bunch. While your idea is very handy, your choice of the mortar cans is bad. IT is a two stage paint and when exposed to open flame will let off fumes. The fumes will give your food a bit of a taste and this is the sort of long term storage paint that in no bs will without doubt no if/when/but give you cancer the stuff is right under nuclear waste on the oh crap scale.