Help me pick a muffler - Chevy 350

Nate R

It's derby season!
I want/need to change the mufflers on my '65 Chevy Nova. Currently it has the 300ish horse 350 in it with stock ram horn exhaust manifolds, 2.5" exhaust with an "X" pipe and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. Sounds good, but its way too loud.

I don't want to redo the entire exhaust system, just change the muffler. What do you recommend? I want quietish, nice sound and of course reasonable price. I have tried the YouTube clips, but that just isn't a good way to tell, I'm looking for first hand experience.

Help!

-Nate

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've become a fan of Magnaflow mufflers, had one on my TJ with the 5.3 and it sounded great. Healthy, sounded like it breathed, but not obnoxious.

Also had an Aero Turbine on my old Dodge diesel and it was a decent piece of equipment.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have a magnaflow on my tacoma. I didn't want it to be obnoxious but still wanted to be able to hear it. I can only really hear the exhaust tone when the windows down and I like the way it sounds. Makes me happy.

STAG

On my grind
I really liked the Cherrybomb Vortex on my old Chevy 350
vortex2011final-thumb.png

But I wanted something a little louder so I changed to a 4" magnaflow flow-through glasspack type and it sounded great, even that wasn't very loud. And it was free because my buddy smokestacked his duramax so I had everything from the muffler to the tip and I made it work on my gasser... Gheeetooo but I had tons of compliments on how it sounded, really deep and low, like Barry White.

Last edited:

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I used dual flowmaster 50 series suv's on a 383. Gave me the nice throaty sound under full throttle but a nice low rumble with no resonating while cruising the highway

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I started with a flowmaster 40 on my old ZJ, then went to a magnaflow race muffler after the longarms. I always wanted to pu tthe flowmaster back on, and add the magnaflow as a tip/resonator. If you have room for that, I'd give it a shot...

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Not a huge fan of magnaflow or any straight thru mufflers on domestic v8s. Sounds too much like cherry bombs for my tastes. I have always liked the sound of flowmaster mufflers but can understand why a 40 may be too loud for you. Id recommend looking into spintech mufflers. Good design, sound and reputation.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

I want/need to change the mufflers on my '65 Chevy Nova. Currently it has the 300ish horse 350 in it with stock ram horn exhaust manifolds, 2.5" exhaust with an "X" pipe and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. Sounds good, but its way too loud.

I don't want to redo the entire exhaust system, just change the muffler. What do you recommend? I want quietish, nice sound and of course reasonable price. I have tried the YouTube clips, but that just isn't a good way to tell, I'm looking for first hand experience.

Help!

-Nate

Last edited by a moderator: