Help.. need advice as to failing AX-15.

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
Ok, here it goes: '93 YJ
I had my AX-15 rebuilt about 5 years ago. Since then, fourth gear synchro has started to go out. This was a concern, but not a huge issue yet. About four months ago, I noticed my clutch master cylinder was leaking, and so I replaced that. It worked fine for about a week, until it started leaking again! I put another one in, and though I cant see any fluid leaking at the firewall, I have to add fluid to the resevouir frequently. (once a week)

This weekend, I took the jeep out to the Knolls, and discovered it was a pain to shift into every gear at a dead stop. Once I started driving, however, the jeep shifted fine. Checked fluid in clutch MC, and it was full. So now Im thinking I have a leak at the internal slave. CRAP! I am thinking this is weird that both the MC, and slave would go out at the same time..... and what about the clutch? could this be a problem too?

Needless to say, I need this fixed. I have been happy with the AX-15, but I do drool over the thought of the NV4500. What would you do keeping in mind that I would have to have this done before EJS, AND (of course, being an RME member) I am on a very tight budget!

Any direction in the matter would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
While the NV4500 is a excellent choice, you can probably get a NV3550 cheaper and easier for a 'bolt in' application.

There could be lots of things wrong with your tranny and clutch system. It could be as simple as a leaky MC/SC and improper type of fluid in the trans to worse.

I'd make sure they put the correct type of fluid in the trans when it was rebuilt. To think, and it could cause problems like your descirbing with making it difficult to shift.

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
Ok, I've looked into the 3550, and yes, it looks like a great swap. My question, however, is if the 3550 is that much better than the ax-15? Should I rebuild the one I have, get another used one, or buy a used 3550?

I think I am stuck going one of those routes, as it would be much easier to do myself, and much easier on the pocketboook!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Ok, I've looked into the 3550, and yes, it looks like a great swap. My question, however, is if the 3550 is that much better than the ax-15? Should I rebuild the one I have, get another used one, or buy a used 3550?

I think I am stuck going one of those routes, as it would be much easier to do myself, and much easier on the pocketboook!

Much better...If you already have an external slave cylinder, you don't even need to change bell housings! :D