help np435 install problem

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So we got the 435 in the jeep. I boughteverypart novak had to make install easier and it was still kind of a pain. Anyhow we got it all in and started up the jeep. If the trans isin neutral you let out the clutch and everything is fine. If you shift the trans into a gear and let out the clutch it dies like it is stalling out. there are no drivelines on the jeep and it doesn't matter what the tcase is shifted into. Any ldeas?

Chevycrew

Sounds like a shift fork is misaligned, allowing it to be in 2 gears at the same time.

I would pull the shifter and make sure everything is lined up.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
pulled the shifter and everything seems to be aligned. It is hard to get into any other gear beside second for some reason.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Maybe it isn't aligned. All of the whatever you call the things the shifter moves where in a straight line. Is that right?

zukking01

You might have the trans shift rails in the wrong order. Usually when you look down there is two rods with a notch in each side. Make sure they are both lined up and look like a square. Then put the shifer back in and make sure it shifts through all gears.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
NP435, right in the title. :D

Motor won't matter-- if it's running in neutral, but dies in gear, there has to be an issue with the transmission. Something applying load to the motor.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
does it try to spin the output in nutral.

It does not spin the output in neutral

You might have the trans shift rails in the wrong order. Usually when you look down there is two rods with a notch in each side. Make sure they are both lined up and look like a square. Then put the shifer back in and make sure it shifts through all gears.

I will recheck these when I get home today.

lets start over.
what trans are we talking about, and what motor.

NP435 going on a 4.0 L in a jeep YJ. Jeep 231 behind it.

NP435, right in the title. :D

Motor won't matter-- if it's running in neutral, but dies in gear, there has to be an issue with the transmission. Something applying load to the motor.

That's what I figured, but the fellow RMEer I bought it from said it was rebuilt. I will have to recheck the shifter and make sure it is lined up.

Bobzilla

Yea, those shift rails must be aligned when you drop in the shift rod and lock it in, then try and get neutral.

Are you positive that the output shaft is free and not pushing on the engine crankshaft?

Did you try shifting all gears of this transmission prior to installing? if it was working correctly and turning in all four gears & reverse.

If you end up needing a good tranny shop, I know of a guy I beleive is still doing tranny's, Brent at Tourist Auto in SLC, he is extremely knowledgable, and been doing conversions & rebuilds for over 30 years

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Just pulled the trans out to see what was going on. All the gears on the top spin fine, but the lower gears don't spin. The forks were in the right place and the shift pattern was right. I think the lower gears are seized up or something.

Bobzilla

If you can shift the trans go thru each gear individually, put a pair of "Big Channel Locks" on the shaft or a vise grip and try and turn the shaft CW & CCW and see if it you can free it up?

If is locking solid, binding into other gears, it could be assembled wrong

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
one thing, have you done any engine work? i had a Chev V8 that would die when there was any load on the engine I.E. just putting it into drive would kill it. I found all of the valves were adjusted on the wrong stroke and they were to tight causing it to die.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well, the old guy at the shop took a look. He fiddled with the inside and put it back together and it shifts through all gears now. I am not sure about what he did, but he used his old man powers. All we could figure was the thin disc thing was out of place. anyway now it works. thanks for the help and heres to old man skillz! I still haven't put it back in jeep, but that happens on tuesday so we'll see.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I am not sure about what he did, but he used his old man powers. [/QUOTE]

Those old guys know more than these newer certified mechanics sometimes. Especially if you're working on the older stuff. :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Just in case someone does this swap here are some hints
-If novak machines your bellhousing I had to grind out the machining and flip the CPS around from the way they installed it to get it to work.
-the external slave kit works much better
-the ball bearing in the jeep bellhousing that the throwout fork pivots on is only help in by spring tension. It can fall out and yu will need a .5625 inch ball bearing to replace it.
-the clutch that you need is from a 78 CJ7 with a 304 it will have the right surface size and shaft. Novak told me to use a ford truck one, but they all had too big of disc to fit in the jeep pressure plate.
-good swap my gearing went way down.
ask any questions.