Help on GM TBI conversion

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I'm putting a GM TBI setup on an AMC 360 V8 & am looking for a writeup or article on the subject. Things like what fuel pump to use, wiring changes, & general installation would be greatly appreciated:D! I have all the harness & sensors from the doner vehicle & I'm told the swap is pretty straight forward, but having a guide would make me feel alot better;)!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You're going to need the pump, or one w/similar characteristics, out of the donor. The TBI pumps mount to the whole sender assembly and are meant to be in-tank, maybe you can use an external. The harnesses and whatnot are pretty straightforward. I would get ahold of a wiring diagram for the Chevy TBI and go from there. There are companies that make harnesses for this swap if you're into that.

The FSJ boards would be a lot handier for this particular conversion. www.ifsja.org and the fsj-list mailing list are great stores of information. Also, you might call my friend Zach at Z&M Jeeps, he does AMC HEI conversions and is a pretty good source of information.

Also, Google is your friend for stuff like this. :D I have GM factory wiring diagrams if you need them. I could probably get them scanned or copied if you really need them.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought about the FSJ boards, I'll definatly give them a look!

I've been told that the Holly Projection system uses an external pump, and also that Carter makes one that has high enough pressure for TBI. I've also heard of an earlier Ford injection system that used an external pump, but I don't know what vehicles it came on, or what years!

I was just going for the easy solution, hoping someone had already done the leg work for me! ;)

stimmie

Ford Bronco II's from 86-88 used 2 fuel pumps. One low pressure in tank pump and then a high pressure frame mounted pump. Probably on the Rangers as well... that's the Ford I do know that used an external pump for injection...