Help!!! Overheating

RedRockUT

Utah 4x4 Club
OK, so today after replacing my shock bushings I was sitting with the jeep parked with the engine running for about 5 minutes. I noticed the temp guage was in the red zone, and about 2 minutes later steam was coming from the hood.

I put it in drive and started moving hoping that would cool it down, and turned on the heat to full blast but it was cold :(

Then for a split second I heard a couple chunks of something swooshing through the heater core, something loose in the line. The heater got hot again, then went right back to cold. :sick:

After popping the hood, I noticed the coolant overflow was bulging and hissing and there was coolant all over the engine bay.

And I want to mention that I've noticed that the auxilary fan has not been turning on like its suppossed to the past week or two.

What do you think could be wrong? Last time this happened to my friends mazda, it ended up being the coolant seals, and he had to get a new motor :(

Could it be thermostat? Water pump? If my motor is shot..... I'm SCREWED! :mad2:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The heater blowing cold tells me you were low on coolant. Your aux fan should come on at 220. Maybe the relay is bad and you have been slowly losing coolant from overheating. Check the relay first.

R

rockdog

I agree with Jeremy, The sound you heard was probably coolant being pushed through the heater. Cold heater usually means low on coolant.

JoeT

Simple:
1) You have the problematic closed cooling system, one tiny leak and it overheats.Solution Give a minute to load.
2) If you don't do the open system switch try the following. Flush your system. I used 2 bottles of different types on mine and that fixed mine. How's the clutch fan? How old is your t-stat?

Good luck.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You're motor is effed sucka!

If the heater is blowing cold then there is no coolant running through it. Coudl be low, could be all gummed up.

Flush your system out, replace t-stat, go from there.

Maybe you could do a rotory motor swap?!! You guys have great luck with those ;) ;)

Cody

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Hickey said:
The heater blowing cold tells me you were low on coolant. Your aux fan should come on at 220. Maybe the relay is bad and you have been slowly losing coolant from overheating. Check the relay first.

x4