Help- phone line pulled out uf box

heinz

The dog pulled the line out of the box that is mounted on the house.
The line has 4 wires- blue, orange, white w/ blue stripe, white w/orange stripe. I have not opened the box yet. Has anyone messed with this before?
Trying to avoid calling out a tech$$$$. BTW it is Qwest.
Any help/info would be great.

V-DAWG

someday
Been there many times................

One portion of the box is user servicable, the other portion is not. Most likely you will have wires pulled off the part that is not user servicable, but I have heard that it is not impossible to open.

You can get phone line at any home improvement store. I just spliced it all back together, and then beat the he!! out of the dogs. (Okay, I don't really beat the dogs, but I sure felt like it after the 5th time!)

If you need the line to go into the house, use a wire hanger unless you have a cable pulling tool. Or you can tie a string or the new wire onto the old line before you pull it through. (This will only be neccessary if you don't have enough line to splice into.)

It is really straight forward. Match up the colors, and you are good to go.

edit: I finally set up a gate on the side of my house so the dogs do not have access anymore :eek:

Caleb

you'll only need to use two of the four lines (unless you have multiple lines) just try and hook them back up and check to see if you have a dial tone and keep trying till you do get a tone. thats the easiest way without the tools...you really can't hurt anything. You could also look in you house and see what colors are hooked up, but depending on the tech that installed it that may be different or you may have al four lines hooked up (even though you are only using two).

Also, there is one part of the box that will say not user serviceable, thats the part you need to get into...it should just be a screw that opens it up.

my4thjeep

I used to do a lot of telecom at my last job while there I bought a tool to open different types of telecom cabinets and it also worked on the "non user service portion of your box" I think I picked it up at Graybar in SLC.

V-DAWG

someday
my4thjeep said:
I used to do a lot of telecom at my last job while there I bought a tool to open different types of telecom cabinets and it also worked on the "non user service portion of your box" I think I picked it up at Graybar in SLC.

I just used a knife tip.

heinz

Thanks for the help guys. I am up and running again :). The "special" tool that was needed was a 5/32" hex with a countersunk hole in the middle to fit over the post on the screw. (and I had one :p )

After I figured out where the 2 wires went it was a piece of cake. 10 minute job saved me some cash, rather than pay their guy to come out.

Thanks again guys :hickey: Jason

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I would play dumb. Call the phone company and tell them your phone is not working. There policy is outside the house the problem is there's inside is yours. I cut the phone line in the back yard with a shovel once and had to pay to fix it because I was honest, but I could have just reported the phone being dead and saved a few bucks.